mb/mbp revisions wishlist

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cthomet, Mar 15, 2008.

1. cthomet macrumors regular

think apples design process when coming up with ideas some crazy some realistic. what exterior/ performance changes would you like to see (notice i didnt say expect to see) at WWDC or in the next notebook revision?

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Blu-Ray/swappable dvd/cd drive
    1 more usb port
    removable hard drive, without dismantlement,

thats all for now i am not greedy.

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

This would be enough for me,..

4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Blu-Ray, faster video card, easily upgradeable hard drive and a higher contrast LED-backlit display that goes through better quality control.

5. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

What the 15" MBP needs is an additional USB port.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I can make due pretty well with only 2 USB ports. It would be nice to have 3 but it's not a necessity for me any more. You can buy a bluetooth mouse so that your 2 USB ports are free to be used just for things like a digital camera, flash drive, external USB hard drive, ect. If you use several USB devices at your desk you can simply buy an inexpensive USB hub which will provide a lot more ports. I'm sure also that wireless USB will be a thing of the future for upcoming MBP's since it's already available in certain laptops.

7. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I would like the MBA screen on the MB.

I want the MBA trackpad (both multi-touch and size) on the MB.

On the MB I would like something better than Intel integrated graphics. IT's not like I don't want the same gpu as the MBP, but I would settle for the last gen dedicated gpu that was in the MBP and iMac aka the x1600. Just something that has 128mb of dedicated video memory and can play 3 yr old games.

8. eyespii macrumors 6502

Media card reader please! My 6 year old toshiba had a built-in SD card reader...

HDMI port would be nice but not critical, and an extra USB port or two. Oh, and maybe give the MBP a more tactile keyboard like the one on the thinkpads or even the MB? And a real right-mouse button? Definitely agree with the user-swappable HDD too.

And of course, it never hurts to slim things down and lighten things up, though I know the MBP is about as thin and light a mainstream laptop with a 15.4" screen gets.

9. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

The thing I would like to see most is a user replacable graphics card. That is one of the main reasons I have to upgrade every year or two is because I can't replace it. Even though its difficult, the HDD ect... can be replaced, but the graphics card can not.

10. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

blu-ray
    get rid of FW and put more USB
    SD card reader
    a video in (so i can play xbox on my screen!)
    eSATA port

and:
    make my mbp 2 pounds lighter....

11. teazen macrumors newbie

I just wish Apple would phase in high quality 8bit LED panel in MBP.

12. cthomet thread starter macrumors regular

for me hard drive would be nice as well. blu ray would be cool but i dont think i would use it. i would like to see an improvement on wireless capabilities on the mbp, but i realize that the material kinda limits that. magnetic latch is another. oh and on the mb i would like to see the casing around the screen slimmed down for a sleeker look. hmmm thats all for now

but i wouldnt be upset if apple designers came up with something unexpected.

maybe a price drop? that could be sweet and i dunno, maybe its possible because apple often updates a product and does a price drop.

13. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you're smoking, but I would be infuriated if they got ride of the Firewire ports.

14. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

True....though what I have now is a microsoft wireless mouse that uses USB. If it had one more port, I would not need to use a hub. It is just a thought. On the other hand, if they added a esata port, that may be even better than an additional usb port :D.

15. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Normally this isn't going to be possible because a newer and faster video card is going to require better cooling and more power to run. If you stuck like an 8800M in the current MBP it would quite possibly just overheat.

16. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

What would possess you to want to play your Xbox on a 15.4" laptop display? lol.

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

its called a hub people. 7 into 1 / i use 6 of those ports and i still got one left on the mbp with 1 more on the hub.

when your using it not at your desk whar really do you need 3 usb ports for

18. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

I allready have a hub, but it would just be nice to have one more port. Using a hub splits the bandwidth of one of the usb ports.

19. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

thats why when i connect my ipod i use the 2nd port on the mbp or if i am moving big files 40+ gb i hook it up into the 2nd port but i mostly leave it on the hub.

i mean what is on your hub.
    i have
    mouse
    keyboard
    printer
    hdd
    camera
    card reader (that could be taken out but i leave it as not to loose it, i barely use it)

20. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Yea, it's just a fantasy of mine!