MB now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfriend1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. macfriend1 macrumors regular

Should I get a macbook now or in a few months?

The thing is, I need a macbook for summer so I can't really wait for a long time.
    Ilife 2007 should come though.. that's why I am not sure about the purchase of a macbook now.
    thank you for your help.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You've answered your own question. You need a Macbook for the summer, so get a Macbook for the summer.

They've just been updated. so it's a good time to buy. No one knows when iLife 07 will be out, so there's no point in waiting for it.

3. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Don't wait, get it now. iLife 06 is great. Enjoy it as soon as you can.:)

4. pdra05 macrumors regular

Yes get it now since it's only been updated a month ago. :) im using iLife'05 which I think is really good, so iLife'06 must be better.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'd guess a new version would come out with 10.5-isn't that how they do these things normally?

If so...geez, it's June now, so buy the thing if the hardware meets your needs :)

6. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I see..
    the macbooks have been updated recently. no big software or anything-else coming (AFTER WWDC2007?)

I probably gonna buy the macbook with the lowest standarts:
    only push RAM upto 2GB. Finalcut express should work, right?

if I need more space I could buy an external harddrive... doesn't make any sense to buy lots of HD-space.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Probably nothing software wise until October when 10.5 launches.

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I would advise getting one with Superdrive. Ability to make dvdrs can be very useful and you can't add an internal DVD burner later.

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I kind of think that too, although depending on your backup strategy, and whether you plan on ever burning watchable DVDs, I can see it might not make a difference for some people. But an extra 160MHz on the CPU and the DVD+/-RW for $200 doesn't seem terrible.

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Or get a refurb!

My friend just got a Blackbook for $1049 -- 2.0 C2D, superdrive, 120gb, 1gb ram.

Honestly, the only macs worth purchasing are the refurbs. The normal models are just a bit over-priced for me -- the mac pros and high end iMac are price competitive.

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

buy now... otherwise you will be waiting till October for Leopard to be included and December-onwards for a hardware update.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're a student, buying now is the best thing you can do. The free iPod makes up for the cost of Leopard and iLife (I believe they are $69 and $49 respectively for students, someone please correct if wrong). Since you need one for summer, buy sooner so you can customize it before you get into the thicket of whatever work you are going to be doing.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

if today's MB does all you want, then get it. Features coming in 10.5 are nice, but only marginal improvements.

14. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks.
    I was afraid that there will come some major updates after wwdc. looks like wwdc2007 brought us nothing!!?? that's a pity..

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah...but every six months can't bring a miracle can it? Frankly I wanted Leopard and iWork, and iLife to have been released by now. The iPhone is harming all of Apple's other lines:(

16. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

exactly! It won't even be available in europe...

> about this get "ipod-Free" thing:
    I'm not sure whether such a discount / offer is available in europe too... I think not

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I thought there was in the UK, but not any other European country. Sorry:

18. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess 1 GB RAM is not enough for finalcut express right?

19. Igantius macrumors 65816

re: is now a good time to buy a MB:

http://www.macopinion.com/index.php/site/more/is_now_a_good_time_to_buy_a_macbook/

If the first sentence is referring to the iPhone, that is not the case in the UK.

The education iPod offer in the UK happens later in the year - July or August I think; you can find out details in the thread about the UK iPod promo.

If you want to work efficiently, install more.