MB or iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mikehokie, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mikehokie macrumors regular

Hey what's up

I use a Panasonic PV-GS120 for shooting trips to Alaska, New Mexico, ect. I am in a Church group that does some high adventure stuff so this is why we go to these places. I use a Dell Dimension 8400 with 1 gig of RAM, but when you are trying to edit and burn a DVD with Pinnacle Studio (for those of you who have slaved over hours of editing and then had the thing somehow lose your data know what I mean) it gets really slow and will crash frequently. I am about at the last straw with Studio 10 so I have decided to upgrade my computer since it needs an upgrade anyway.

I was thinking about a Macbook or 20" iMac. I like the Macbook because of portability, but the iMac is pretty sweet because it's fast and sleek. Can the Macbook run FCE pretty fast and edit hour long movies without too much lag? I don't really want to get a MBP because I am getting a laptop for college, so investing 2 grand in one is not ideal.

Thanks

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its not easy to edit on such a small and crappy screen as MacBook has. Also, the HD is slow and small, so I recommend either get MacBook with external display and HD, or iMac. 20" is gorgous and you have 250 GBs of 7200rpm HD from the start.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

There's no problems when editing on a small screen. I edit on my iBook which is even smaller than the Macbooks and it's fine.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If portability is really not a plus to what you are trying to do, then I would go with the iMac...I've had mine about a month now, I love it for editing my podcasts, and other video that I shoot. It is simple setup, simple maintenance, and simple to use.

If portability is an issue, then get the macbook (check the refurbished site on apple.com), and attach an external display when possible.

Enjoy,

Brian

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I'd wait for next Tuesday.

Then order the new iMac.

6. Spizzo macrumors 6502

+1

I have my iMac for editing. I might be upgrading when the new ones come out next week. It's specs are more along the lines of the MBP, it will be more powerfull for editing, and the extra screen real estate is a plus.

7. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

I believe you can attach an additional display right now to an iMac if you want to using an adapter. At least that's what one of the chat people said on the educational site chat.

BTW where did that chat go?

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Strictly speaking, you should be using an external drive for your scratch disk.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'd wait on a iMac update. It has taken forever for them to update it but I think it will be worth it when it comes around.