MB or MB Pro for Videoconferencing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleGuy1980, Jun 7, 2008.

1. AppleGuy1980 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace my rapidly aging iBook G4. In general, I'm a fairly typical user, a lot of word-processing, excel, email, web browsing, etc, but no serious gaming or videoediting. However, I do a lot of videoconferencing through a few different programs, so I need a computer that can really handle it. I also often need to have a few programs running in the background during a videoconference, and on my current iBook, doing all of this at once slows me down to a crawl.

Do I need the power of an MB Pro to effectively videoconference (and does the fact that is has better graphiscs performance make a difference in doing so?) or will I be satisfied with a MacBook?

2. isianto macrumors regular

I don't think you need MBP, but if you have the cash, why not.
    My friend is using the 2.0 white macbook, and he did video conferencing with skype, and work perfectly.
    Just my two cents.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

A macbook is just fine. There's no reason that you'd need a pro to do something like that.

5. AppleGuy1980 thread starter macrumors member

THanks for the Responses So Far

Thankes for the responses so far, but I'd just like to put a brief clarification. I know the MB is perfectly capable of doing videoconferencing alone, but can it also support running a number of other applications while doing it (including memory intensive stuff such as very large excel spreadsheets or graphics intensive operations such as watching another video while I videoconference)?

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, just add enough Ram. They can have 4GB's max just like the Macbook Pro's

7. georgecampbell macrumors newbie

As per my knowledge, better video conferencing requires better MACBOOK configuration and ofcourse better video conferencing tools like WebEx, GoMeetNow, Gotomeeting, RHUB, Polycom, Avaya, etc.