MB or MB Pro? Gaming

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, Feb 8, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

Hi I am pretty confident I am going to be getting the 2.4 Ghz with 4GB Ram Macbook for college but I have a question about gaming. I do most of my gaming on my PS3 and never buy computer games with exception of a few however I will be buying Diablo 3 for my laptop whenever it comes out and I am wandering if you think the MB will handle it. Blizzard says they are making an Apple Copy so I know itll be fine with Apple. What are your guys thoughts?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's Diablo 3 and you want decent playability then you will need the MBP.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I'd bet the MacBook could do it. Blizzard makes games that are availible to a wider range of computers. Meaning they usually don't need super high requirements.

4. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm hoping. Most likely that will be the only game I get for my laptop so I don't want to get a Pro if I don't have to. I was able to run Diablo 2 on a computer that had only 512Mb Ram so hopefully the 4Gb and the new graphics they have would help. Anyone else have any ideas?

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

The 2.4 MB can handle a fair amount of gaming.

You can actually go on youtube and there's quite a few videos of people playing games on their MBs, that should put things into perspective for you.

6. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

The lighter games will obviously work perfectly fine, but don't expect to do any "serious"/graphics intensive gaming...

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I've found with most gaming it sure is nice to have 512MB of VRAM on a nvidia 9600GT. That's my experience, the 9400 is nice too but that little extra really helps so long as your chip doesn't freak out occasionally.

8. pcwolff macrumors newbie

I'd say go with the 2.4 Macbook Pro, you can find some really great deals out there for it. I just got mine, and absolutely love it. Haven't played any games that are too intense though just Age of Empires III, C&C Generals, and BF2142 all play wonderfully though with pretty much all the setting cranked right up. Oh, I've also played a little WoW on it and that (of course) runs great. :D

I'm really looking forward to trying out Starcraft II on it and I think it'll handle it beautifully.

9. MuDPHuDStudent macrumors member

Although the system requirements for Diablo 3 haven't been released yet, the unibody macbook 2.4 should be able to handle it just fine. I have played COD 2, COD 3, and bioshock on mine with no problems. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the requirements for Diablo 3 will not exceed those of the FPS games I have just mentioned (RPGs just don't have the same graphics requirements). I wouldn't recommend playing Crysis on your macbook (although I've never tried), but the 9400m is a pretty solid graphics card, even though it is integrated. If you're serious about gaming, get a desktop. If you want to be able to play fairly recent, but not bleeding edge, games every now and then, a macbook is perfectly fine.

10. iceblade macrumors member

A macbook pro will give you better game performance then a macbook. Period, it just will, it has better hardware.

That being said, I think Diablo will probably be OK on a macbook. I haven't played any of the Diablo games, but Blizzard is generally pretty good about keeping their games low specced enough that many people can enjoy them, not just those with top of the line gaming machines.

So, I can't guarantee that you will be able to play diablo 3... But it seems likely, to me, that you could, and you'll save some money.