MB or MBP and Camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dloreski, May 2, 2009.

1. dloreski macrumors member

Hi everyone.
    I've decided to try a Mac for the first time.
    I buy and sell show horses and I need to upload video from a camcorder to the computer. I will also need to purchase a new camcorder.
    My video needs will be VERY basic and it looks like a Mini DV camcorder suits my requirements.
    From what I have seen, they all use firewire to connect to the computer.
    With this being the case, I would need the MBP to hook it up.
    So I guess the way I'm seeing it is that I could go with the MBP and the basic camcorder, or the MB and a higher end camcorder that doesn't use firewire.
    Am I looking at this correctly?
    -Dave

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes you are, but I would seriously consider the Mac Book and the "higher end" camcorder.

I don't really mean higher end, I just mean the HD camcorders that shoot to memory card or internal HDD. If your video needs are light, then archiving won't be too hard to do with those cameras, and you don't have to spend a lot of money just for the use of Firewire.

And there are some standard definition camcorders still out there that shoot to HDD, that cost a lot less than the HD ones. And then there are the YouTube cameras that shoot in the MPEG4 format that's used by YouTube for around $200.

All in all, you could walk away with a decent HD camera and MB for around $1600, instead of the MBP and camcorder for $2400.