MB or MBP-how does this sound?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwarner, Oct 26, 2008.

1. mwarner macrumors newbie

I'm currently running an original 2006 2.16 MBP with 2GB of Ram and 120GB HD that is very full. I use this laptop in a research academic setting and frequently use the Office 08 suite, Keynote, the usual web browsers, iLife apps, Matlab, some Photoshop and EasyDraw as well as several PC programs in Parallels Desktop (Origin, SPSS and few others). My only use of firewire is for backing up to external drives (all of my externals have usb as well) and i have never used the express card slot.

While in my office, the laptop is tethered to a 22" display, but I carry this everywhere and travel by air frequently. I've longed for small form factor/full feature MBP akin to the 12" PB of days gone by, but realize this just won't happen. I'm considering the following: Purchase the 2.4 GHz MB and then upgrade the RAM to 4 GB and purchase a 7200 RPM drive to drop into it. I would then move the 250 GB drive from the new MB over to my older MBP for my wife to use (she is still using my old G4 titanium powerbook so the old MBP will feel like a Ferrari to her). Any thoughts?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

3. MacGotMe macrumors newbie

Is it easy to swap out the hard drive in a MacBook (or MacBook Pro)??? I'm a new Mac user and I got the impression from talking to the rep at the Apple store that the only thing that could be easily upgraded was RAM.

I have no problem taking things apart & putting them back together, but I don't want to void the warranty. Will upgrading the hard drive void the warranty?:confused:

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Upgrading the hard drive in all of the MacBooks is easy. Same for the new MacBook Pro. Changing the drive on the Original MacBook pro is much more difficult...