MB or MBP, this is a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leohaoqi, Feb 10, 2008.

1. leohaoqi macrumors newbie

I am wondering whether I should go for a MB or MBP.

I will use it mostly for the editing of my HD video recorded by my Canon HV20. Is MB enough for this kind of work or I shall buy a more powerful MBP? The price difference is really huge.............

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Wait a few more weeks and buy the new MBP. If money is an issue, go for the mid-range white MacBook.

3. McBob macrumors member

MBP is the best option, for editing screen space will be an issue plus you have the option of matt which will give you truer color definition.

The macbooks are nippy but when it comes to the crunch with High Deff video you need all the performance your machine can muster.

Plus the MBP's are in a class above the the macbooks.

You wont regret it!

xRob

4. D4F Guest

D4F

Besides a few differences I wouldn't say that they are in class above.
    For the price you pay nothing beats the macbook.
    IF you go for heavy graphics or video editing MBP has this little advantage of nVidia. Besides that and the FW 800 i can't seem to find any other HUGE differences (besides price)

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i agree, the macbook will give you all the bangs for your bucks.. if you really want a powerful machine, i'd say go for a macpro not a macbook pro.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

MBP benefits:
    - Matte screen option (Important for what you want to do)
    - Bigger screen (more space the better)
    - FW400 and 800
    - Express slot
    - Better keyboard (Especially for touch typists)
    - Better graphics (dedicated graphics chip)
    - DVI out (without adapter)

All this, and the MBP is just a little heavier and bigger, but not by much.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you're editing HD video, I wouldn't even think about a MacBook. The dedicated video card on the MBP will probably make a huge difference. You'll also want the DVD-burner and extra memory that the MBP has (compared to the base MB). The MBP also has a little bit more processing power available. You'll need all that you can get for HD video.

FYI you can test the HD capability by watching movie trailers from Apple's Web site. Might want to do that in a store before buying. My old G4 Mac Mini couldn't even play them. So slooooow.

8. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Yes, my vote will go for the MBP. The dedicated graphics card and expandable RAM or what not is important. Just my thoughts. Graphics card FTW.

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

does a dedicated graphics card make much difference in editing video? i always thought these were processor-intensive tasks and were less reliant on a graphics card. if i were the op, i'd go for a macbook and an external display. i'd imagine screen size to be most paramount.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Yes