MB or MBPro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chukwithak, Sep 28, 2008.

1. chukwithak macrumors member

I'm about to start college for the first time after recently getting out of the military. I'm not sure what my degree will be in yet, as I'm stuck in the idea of 3 directions. Criminal Justice, Kinesiology, and some type of computer related from programming to design. I'm buying a laptop to cover which ever path I decide to take. If I buy a MB and upgrade the ram, will it be strong enough to run programming and design stuff? or do i need a MBP?

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You need to elaborate a bit further so we can tell you exactly which computer you'll be needing (software you'll be using for design, programing, etc).

3. CTJoyce macrumors member

Anything graphical (rendering) your going to want the MBP. The enhanced power of the 8600GT makes rendering or modeling worlds better. And if you ever end up working with AutoCAD it isn't going to run on the MacBook.

Personally I would say, if you have the money, just get the MBP. You can never have "too much" computing power, but you will sure as hell know when you don't have enough.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. chukwithak thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

honestly I'm not sure what programs. I'm going to dip my fingers where I can with electives and see where it takes me. I already have a lot of experience with adobe photoshop, and very little with coding. I'm just going to explore but if I need a stronger computer I don't want to have to upgrade. I geuss my question is what program are that fine line between the 2 computers?

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Final Cut Pro area, you're going to want a MacBook Pro when it comes to graphics design. Photoshop and most adobe products will run fine on a MB.

Programing, I'm really not sure.

6. TyloBedo macrumors member

Just get a mbp. That way witchever way you go you will know you can do it. there will always be that one time when you have a macbook that you will say "dang i wish i got the pro."

Unless money is a huge issue defiantly go with pro. make sure to wait until October 14th!

7. CTJoyce macrumors member

Programming is mostly CPU/RAM intensive, hell most coding can be done on an EEEPC.

As far as what are the major differences between the two (assuming hard drive and RAM are exactly the same sizes)

Macbook:
    13" Screen
    2.16Ghz or 2.4Ghz C2D with 3MB L2 Cache
    Intel GMA X3100 graphics

Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz model)
    2.4Ghz C2D with 3MB L2 Cache
    nVidia GeForce GO 8600GT 256MB

Macbook Pro (2.5Ghz model)
    2.5Ghz or 2.6Ghz C2D with 6MB of L2 Cache.
    nVidia GeForce GO 8600GT 512MB

The higher the L2 cache is the faster things like converting movies, or audio, or running script, or things of that nature go. As for the different videoRAM sizes on the GPUs, really the card itself is going to preform the same (gaming) but the more polygons you put on the screen (rendering) or the larger resolution display you have (say an external running 1920x1200 or above) the better the GPU will preform with higher RAM.

So I would say a 2.5Ghz MBP Would be what I recommend, but then again I would recommend waiting until the Macbook event to see what they come out with then. In the Macbook world I see slight enhancements to make them look pretty, but no real performance increase, MBP on the other hand, I'm sure that there will both cosmetic and performance upgrades (nVidia 9 series anyone?).

Cheers
    Cameron

8. chukwithak thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

what proof is there of an oct 14 event? I see everyone saying october 14, but don't see apple ever saying anything.

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

do you realize what site this is

10. chukwithak thread starter macrumors member

LOL should have expected that.

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

In case you don't know, Apple announces there events one week ahead of time. The last event we had was accurately identified with rumors, I expect October 14th to be accurate as well, but we won't know for sure till October 7th.