MB + PC vs MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mriisdotcom, Nov 20, 2008.

1. mriisdotcom macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just registered to MacRumors, but have been reading the forums for quite a while.

I have a few thoughts on buying a new setup but can't figure out which way to go. I'm a high school student, interested in photography. Need a new setup to replace my current pretty tired PC.

My first idea was to get a MBP for my main computer. Great perfomance and its portable if I need it to be. But a 15.4" laptop is too big to carry round to school every day I feel, as we have a Dell D830 in the family.

Then thought about a MB, but the lack of dedicated graphics put me off buying as a main computer. Perhaps a MB for school and Photography work on location and a PC for bigger PS work and occasional gaming? How does Lightroom handle the OS difference?

The ideal solution would obviously be a Mac Pro with MB/MBA, but that costs too much. Even MB with a 24" iMac is out of reach.

Any thoughts?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it were me, I'd just get the 15" MBP. Get a comfortable backpack or wheeled briefcase and you should be good to go.

I see a lot of comments on the forums about how MBP's are too big to carry around - people, they are portable computers. I realize that many models are made smaller, but you sacrifice something by going smaller - otherwise there would be no 15" models made by anybody.

And yes, I haul a 15" Dell with me everywhere for work. Just part of the job.

3. mriisdotcom thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually its not the weight that bothers me. Its the big screen on the table, which everyone can see when youre at school.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay, I know we're getting off-topic now, but what exactly are you going to be doing in class that you don't want others to see?

You're almost asking for two different things - a 15" screen is so big your classmates will see what you're up to, but most people into photography, gaming, and dedicated graphics might otherwise prefer a larger screen.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood your comment altogether?

5. therealdt macrumors regular

if you were a young man in high school with a laptop, what would be on YOUR screen.....:D

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

The new macbook has a dedicated graphics card.

edit: thanks scottsdale its actually still an integrated graphics card but way better than previous models.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

That is NOT true. But the MacBook has a much better graphics card than the prior models. It is still an integrated graphics card using the computer's memory.

If it were me, I would get the MacBook Pro if I were you. It's better for games which teens will like. And it's better for your interests. You may want some firewire accessories so the MBP can do that and the MB cannot.

Truly, it's not that much bigger. And you don't care about weight, so just get a nice backpack.

Let's face it you are not going to get a wheeled briefcase like someone else suggested, as it's just not cool.

Good luck whichever way you go.