MB Pro 13" HD + RAM replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by untogether, Jun 22, 2009.

1. untogether macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm going to buy the lowest specced 13" MB Pro then upgrade the memory and HD myself... does anyone have any suggestions for both? Want to make sure I don't end up buying something that's totally incompatible.

Basically I want to upgrade to 4GB of memory (would love 8GB but wow is that expensive) and a 320GB+ 7200RPM drive.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. untogether thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks.

Another question I forgot to ask- I'm pretty new to the US, so don't know which online stores are good, etc. Newegg has that same memory that the Crucial site does- are they pretty much the best online store out there?

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Crucial is good because you know you are getting the right RAM. But if you find the same ram that Crucial recommends on NewEgg for a lower price then go for it.

5. untogether thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148191

Seems to be the exact same thing, plus a customer testimonial saying about installing it in a MacBook Pro 13"- perfect!

Has anyone had any success selling their 2x1GB chips after upgrading? I feel like next to no-one will want them, and there's no charity organisations like the "donate your old phone" things. Hmm.

6. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

You really won't get much for them. Just pop em into the new ram's packaging and hold onto them in the event you ever have a ram failure or you have to send the machine in for applecare. It doesn't hurt to put the old ram and HD back into the machine when getting it serviced so a.) they don't give you a hard time that you damaged it while upgrading and b.) you have parts for troubleshooting in case your new parts fail and c.) if you get a new machine you can put the old stuff back in and at least in the case of the HDD have a bigger external drive.