MB pro 13 i5 2.9 (2015) vs MBA i7 2.2 (2015)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fa.ce, Apr 21, 2015.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

My MBA late 2011 (i7 1.8) has been stolen ... :mad:

And i'm looking for a new MB.
    I've a very large photo database (more than 200 GB), jpeg the most.
    I love photo editing and will use the new Foto Apple app.
    Other then that i'll use it for some development, word processing, web surf and so on.

For my photo collection i think i should consider the 512 GB SSD.

So the choice could be:
    1) MacBook pro 13 i5 2.9
    2) MacBook air 13 i7 2.2
    both with 8GB ram and 512 GB ssd.

for the same price choice 1 gives the new stunning retina display, while the mba has better weight and battery life ...

a third solution could be MacBook Pro 15 ... but in this case perhaps it would be better to wait some months to have the new upcoming release ... but probably the price will be higher ...

I'm really undecided ... any help, please ?

2. flur macrumors 68000

Get the Pro. For photos, the retina screen makes a big difference. The 1/2 lb weight difference isn't that much, and the pro actually has a smaller footprint. The battery life on the Pro isn't as long as the Air, but it's not exactly short either, so you won't be chained to outlet either way.

3. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, do you think on 13 Pro the i7 upgrade and / or 16 GB ram (a part of the costs :eek:) would be a huge improvements over Pro i5 2.9 8 GB ?

4. flur macrumors 68000

For the usage you described, you should be good with the 2.9 and the 8gb.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the upgrades just because I want to have a top of the line computer and don't want to worry about potential performance issues 4 years down the road.

The $200 extra for the i7 is a 10% increase in price and you get about a 5% increase in performance(according to geekbench). It probably isn't worth it.

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

If you have to ask, you don't need it. Nothing else needs to be said.

This thread is a beautiful example of this principle. Notice how based on your needs, you already realized you should consider the 512SSD. You didn't have to ask about that.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If only that were true....

I see endless posts from people who want to do really intense things and then wonder why their superthin, light, dual core 13 inch Pro doesn't do it very fast.

I am constantly surprised by the lack of understanding people have about what hardware they need to get the best out of their software. I agree that they should know and I have taken to recommending people not only do their own research on what they need but that they actually take a look at some information on the software they use and how to get the best out of it.

Lastly too many people expect laptops to perform like desktops, this is a sign of how good laptops have got and how unrealistic peoples expectations have got in accordance with this...