MB Pro 15" vs. 17"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kain, Jul 30, 2008.

1. kain macrumors member

Alright so I've had an iBook G4 for about 3 years now, and it's been great, but now I want something with a little more power, plus I'd really like to use the Intel processor. I'm looking at refurbished Macbook Pro's on the Apple website, and I can't figure out whether or not to get a 15" or a 17". My iBook is a 14" and I have a carrying bag that can hold a 15" notebook, but I could easily get a new one if I got a bigger notebook. I realize the 15" is actually 15.4".

My reasoning to get the refurbished 15" is that it has a 200GB HD and would fit in my carrying bag, whereas the refurbished 17" only has a 160GB HD. However, my reasoning for the 17" is that it has a higher resolution, which I like. The 17" would be $200 more than the 15" though.

So should I go with a bigger HD but lower resolution for $200 cheaper, or would the higher resolution be worth the $200, and are there more reasons I should get a 17" as opposed to a 15"?

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Is the 17" the hight definition variant? I have that screen and they really are beautiful.

Anyways, I would say it depends on how you are going to use it (or how you used your previous notebook which this will replace):

17" great if you need a desktop replacement type machine which can be easily moved from place to place and set up on a small table or desk or on lap with plenty of elbow room. Not great for using on the move due to size and this lends itself to easily being connected to external hard disks at your main locations making the lower disk size less of an issue.

15" will be a little lighter and smaller, making it far easier to carry around with you and use on trains/planes/coaches etc.

I think the 15" is the way to go for you by the sounds of it unless those couple of extra pixels mean the world to you. If the 17" is the high def variant though, give it some more thought.

That's just my thoughts though...

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Depends what you are doing and whether you're doing it professionally?

Graphics, photography, design, movie editing?

Yes perhaps a 17" would be the way to go.

For me I am a graphic designer and I chose the 15" because I wanted the portability without compromising on power. However I use it in conjunction with 22" monitor when doing work. I don't think the 17" would be large enough for me - but it may make some difference.

I say get the 15" and consider buying a large TFT with the money saved.

4. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Get the 15" and then get yourself a wireless keyboard mouse, keyboard, and external display when your stationary.

5. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Are there any peripherals that make it easy to connect a macbook pro up to all the desk items (usbs, monitor ect.)
    Rather than putting them all in and out. I have seen something about it on this forum before.

6. erummel macrumors member

erummel

If using it as a desktop replacement that never moves (or rarely moves) get the 17". If you plan on taking it places, get the 15", it is FAR more portable. The 17" is a real beast to lug around.

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

If you can afford it, get the 17". It's not that much heavier to carry around. The hi-res screen is much nicer and currently only available on the 17". You can always upgrade your HDD later for less than Apple will charge anyway.

8. Amuraivel macrumors member

I was in this dilemma 4 months ago.

I went for the 17", and say it was a good decision for 1 reason:

Screen Size and Resolution: Until Apple offers WSXGA+ or WUXGA on a 15" The 15" is "sub-optimal," the 17" will become obsolete in my opinion.

The 17" isn't that much bigger, and it can be used on buses and commuter trains (though admittedly tight).

Speakers are great for a laptop, and mine thus doubles as a TV in the evening, and a portable workstation during the day (I work in a couple of offices over any given week, so no external monitor).

I think if you optimize your luggage/bag (which I am in the process of doing) the net weight won't be much different than a 15.4").

9. Andrew9682 macrumors newbie

I just ordered the 17"

pcconnection.com offers the 2.4 17" $1700 brand new in the box and macmall offers the 15" 2.4 for 1600. I can't wait to get a hold of mine. Either way there are some great deals out there that are much better than the refurbs from apple, and you don't have to pay tax either.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.