MB Pro 17 i7 2.3 GHz mouse will not wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niceguyeddie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. niceguyeddie macrumors member

I have a new Macbook Pro 17 2.3GHz i7 which will not wake from sleep via mouse or the trackpad. I have to hit spacebar to get it to wake up. It is really annoying.

I have tried disabling the graphics switching as well as doing a touch on the extensions, but still have the problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Anyone got a fix?

Cheers

2. mape2k macrumors regular

Mine does the same, but I always thought it to be normal?

3. niceguyeddie thread starter macrumors member

I hope it is not normal. I have just switched from a 2008 Macbook Pro 17, the model before unibody, and I could always wake that with mouse or trackpad.

4. Tastydirt macrumors member

It changed with Lion, now instead of just moving the mouse you've got to click it or press a key. IMO this is an improvement as its too easy to accidentally wake it up just by a minor mouse movement, and it doesn't take long to get used to clicking the mouse.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'd have to have the computer allowed to wake up from USB or bluetooth for it to work, have you checked your system preferences?

6. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

enter

sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 in terminal

and var/vm/sleepimage

7. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

If you guys are running Lion it doesn't matter what version MBP you have it wants you to click the trackpad or hit a key to wake up. On <10.7 you could just swipe the pad or move the mouse and it would wake up - now it will only wake if you click a button/key.

Don't listen to the fellow with the terminal commands unless you want to disable hibernation - that hint has nothing at all to do with the "wake up" behavior, only the sleep method used.

8. niceguyeddie thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe you could help with another problem I have with the new MBP? With my previous MBP 17 I could wake it from sleep and control it remotely from my MB Air while both machines are running off the same wireless network. However, with the new one I can't wake it from sleep. Has this behaviour been disabled as well?

Cheers

9. Minhthien macrumors 6502

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Check in the energy settings for a "wake on network access" or similar option. Pretty sure it's there but I'm not at my Mac right now.