MB Pro and MB - can they get MB Air Multitouch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejg930, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ejg930 macrumors newbie

Is this just a software update, or does this require new hardware to get the three finger gestures, and the pinching/rotating? If its just software, i'd love to see this on my MB Pro.

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

there have been a few questions about this

general result is that the new advanced gestures are NOT POSSIBLE on current hardware

although the current mb(p) can detect two fingers, there is a difference in being able to detect two points of contact and two points of contact and also monitoring each points movement separately

its hard to explain, but i dont think it will happen with current hardware

may i ask why you want it?
    i new gestures, zoom, rotate, and next/previous are faster to do on a keyboard than with the trackpad

for example, rotating a photo 180 degrees would be faster to position the mouse and double click with the trackpad than it would having to move one finger around another

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think it is possible, I could be completely wrong though. The reason I think this is that I had an old powerbook 15 inch back in the day and I downloaded software to make 2 finger scrolling possible. Since it obviously didn't have a trackpad that was deemed "hardware-capable" but still worked fine, I would think this would work on our current macbooks and macbook pros as well.