MB Pro battery life question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonstryke, Nov 26, 2011.

1. dragonstryke macrumors newbie

Hey guys I bought a MBP 10 months ago (according the the info on the mb) and as of today istatpro says that my battery health is at 84% and I have 91 cycles.

This was my first apple notebook and I was just wondering if this is a bad battery or not and what are users on this forum getting out of their batteries.

Also, if it is a bad battery can I go into an apple store and have them replace the battery under warranty?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Seems a little low to me. You can take it in, but be aware that:

1) Batteries are not covered by Applecare. However, underperforming batteries are often replaced for free.
    2) The Genius will run Apple's diagnostic tools on your machine. iStatPro metrics do not hold any water.

Take it in; you don't have anything to lose.

3. happle macrumors 6502a

hows 79-80% @ 431 cycles and 2 years old? think apple would replace it for free or?

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Apple generally regards batteries as "consumables" meaning that once they are used past a certain point they are consumed. This point is usually about 300 charge cycles.

OP, To qualify for a new battery I was told by a genius that you need to have a reasonable amount of charge cycles (<300) and have a battery health of under 80%. All that the genius bar diagnostic really does is test your battery to see if it falls within these guidelines.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you have less of a case for a replacement than the original poster, but you could still try.

6. GGJstudios, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Batteries are covered under warranty if they are defective.

iStat Pro accurately reports the battery health, as shown in System Profiler. However, that health is an estimate that isn't 100% accurate.

Batteries are expected to retain up to 80% health for up to 1000 cycles. If they fail to meet that expectation, they may be considered defective. Take it to Apple if it drops below 80%. If it's above 80%, it's rare that they would consider a battery defective.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. dragonstryke thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies! I dont have applecare but there should be a 1 year manufacturer warranty right?

What I'm worried about is that it wont drop below 80% in 2 months time.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Well, either buy applecare or, if it doesn't drop below 80%, be happy that it didn't break.