MB Pro cheap!! Scam??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nemesis-ROX, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesis-ROX macrumors newbie

Well, I'm in China. I found an online shop here selling dirt cheap Macbook Pros.

Here's a link to the machine I'm drooling over: <snip link>

I contacted the company and spoke with an agent via MSN. She tells me that the machines are brand new and come WITH the Apple 1-year warranty.

As for why they are so cheap, she says they've got a "special arrangement" with the factory that makes them.

With shipping and insurance to my town (a few hours south of Beijing), the total cost comes to 379 Euros.

Specs: Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo T7600
    Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
    RAM: 2048 MB
    Weight: 5.5 lb
    Screen Size: 15.4 inches
    Screen Size Type: widescreen
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon x1600
    Storage Capacity: 120 GB
    Networking Options: 802.11a/g
    Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW

I'm going to have a Chinese friend phone her tomorrow to try and suss out whether this is a scam or not.

This "company" is located in Beijing. As I am not there (and thus cannot do a "face to face"), my plan would be to send the cash via bank transfer and then cross my fingers...

What do you all think? Worth the risk, or totally not?

2. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Why would anyone sell that cheap? Or it's fake, extraviated from factory (illegal and therefore no warranty) or it's a pure scam.

Plus, if she is asking for cash transfer, its scam, cause its difficult to be traced.

3. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

This is definitely a scam. If it sounds too good to be true...

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

5 posts later!

a new record?

6. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Hmm. Cheesy web site, prices well out of the realm of reality. So judge for yourself.:eek:

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Definitely a scam, but you should run with it. Get them to meet you at some sketchy place, but never reveal yourself. Approach them asking if they're the ones from _____ selling Dells for $379 a piece. Take pictures. Make them confused.

I toying with anyone stupid enough to run a scam like this.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

I completely agree - I don't even understand why someone would bother questioning the legitimacy of super cheap Apple products in a country widely known for it's strict policing of business practices and hard line against illegal copying or producing of hardware and software.

I'd even go so far as to recommend you buy 4 or 5 of them, then come back and sell them on eBay for massive profits. It might even pay for your ticket to China, and you could make a business out of it, eventually branching out to e-mail solicitation and Craig's list monitoring.

Man, I wish I could get to China now.

9. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I call shenanigans!!!! The "Live Support" is hotmail.. come on hotmail plus if it sounds too good to be true.. it is.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I agree, this is too good of a deal to pass up. Act now, supplies are limited!!! And don't worry, that feeling of getting ****ed is just their award-winning customer service and their way of saying "Thank you!"

11. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I have bought from them a few times. Great service, great deal.

In all seriousness, are you out of your damn mind. Some scams are difficult to spot, but this one is pretty freakin obvious. Just for asking this question you deserve to be screwed over.

And for anyone else who wants to have a laugh at the expense of the poster, here is the link to the site in question because he removed it.

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

13. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

anything involving bank wire's or western union is a full out scam. there is NO reason this company shouldn't take creditcards. scamerooni. tho, if you're gonna do it anyway. let us know how it works out. but with most people here saying no, i'd side with them.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

roffles. "Welcome To Our Website"

ohgodit'ssobad. how could this ever be mistaken for legit?

seriously, OP, i've got some rocks i could sell you.

15. JOBenson1375 macrumors newbie

Let us know how it goes

Hey I've been to China too and seen some incredibly cheap products. However those were never the real product, also some rip off. You'll probably get a windoze computer that looks and acts like a mac, or get the pirated version of macos that is able to run on a windoze computer.

Let us know how it goes though.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I love their product catalog. Of course, the Mustang tires might be a pain to carry on the plane, but they're a good deal.

17. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

lmao..

"Established in 2002, Beijing Maoda Trading Co., Ltd., a leading trading company in China, specializes in wholeselling many famous-brand electronic products including laptops, phones, DVD, LCD TV, PS3, MP3, MP4, wristwatches, motorbycles etc.with the brands of Dell, Sony, Toshiba, Nokia, Denovo and so on. Here you can find the items you like with more competitive prices and better service. Many surprises are waiting for you!"

"ADD:856Room Building No1hai dian District Beijing 100028 China"

Wow... Not to discriminate or insult China but this sounds like those fake toothpaste/egg situation. It's a scam or that Apple MBP is FAKE.

Also there are a lot of typos on that website.

18. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

As long as the sarcasm will continue...

they seem desperate to sell, see if they will give a two for one deal. But wait, call in the next five minutes, and you will receive a FREE IPHONE!!!

19. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

The deal's not really all that good. For that price, you can get a Mac Pro from Nigeria.

20. seany916 macrumors 6502

DO NOT GIVE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY TO SCAMMERS!!!!!!!

God! How many people have to lose their money to save a buck?

They just end up losing that said buck.

Get a refurb from the Apple store, or get one used from someone you know.

21. tshakey macrumors member

wow, according to that link it has 802.11a, and is reduced from the "market price"?? of €390...get it, it's probably rare or something....NOT

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Folks... if y'all wanna keep a legitimate discussion, then keep ON topic and STOP re-posting the link!

Look at the OP's edit line: s/he did NOT remove the link, I did.

23. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro "Home" 500$
    MBP "Home Premium" 600$

I really wonder how China does these things, if this deal is real then the MBP is fake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.