MB Pro Early 08 - Screen problems appeared, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Czechmac, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Czechmac macrumors regular

Hi everyone,
    I have a Early 2008 Mac book Pro and today I noticed darkened stripes appearing form the bottom of my screen (see attached photo, its made with iphone so hopefully the lines are visible).

Now, I have Applecare, but my MB Pro is also BTO (7200rpm drive). That should I do? I live in london and its no problem for me to take it to apple store, which I probably will do very soon, but I am not certain what to expect? Will they exchange the screen, or exchange the laptop or give me a newer MB Pro?

Also, what is the best way to backup my data before I give it to them, external storage is not an issue.

Thanx all for your help .

edit: forgot to attach the photo, silly me

Attached Files:

2. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

As a temporary fix... decreasing then increasing the brightness should make it go away.

3. Czechmac thread starter macrumors regular

I closed the lid down and opened it again and the problem is gone. Does any one know what is the source of this? I mean, if it appeared once it can appear again right?

4. pennymac macrumors member

It is a well known problem with the LED screen, it happened since the June 2007 SR MBP (First LED MBP) , and later on with the Early 2008 MBP, if you check out the forum , there are some posts about the problem happened on the new unibody MBP. I can't believe that it is still there . I have my display replaced 3 times to get a prefect one.

It is really a hardware problem with the display, nothing you can do to fix it. all you can do is bring it to an apple store and they will order a new display to replace it, it is free if you are within warranty. If you have purchased it within 2 weeks you can have the option to exchange for a new machine, if not you can ONLY have the display replaced. BTW, is that a 9c81 display ? i guess this problem happened mostly on the 9c81(LG) one. I have previously owned 2 LG and finally got a problem-free Samsung.