MB Pro for a 13 year old...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Redsfan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Redsfan macrumors regular

Okay, being an android guy all the way I have to suck face and allow my 13 year old to buy her Mac, lol...she has saved money and I actually like the build quality of mac's.

My dilemma is what to suggest for her. I want this thing to last, she will not use it to it's full capacity I am sure, so not sure if the Air is a better buy right now.

The Pro is heavier, has retina on most model vs. Air which does not have retina, but is a better weight and a bit cheaper.

Thinking refurb and found a 256 gig, retina from mid-Oct 13 for about $1250...which to me is nuts, but she really wants one, etc.

Originally released October 2013
    13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage1
    720p FaceTime HD camera
    Intel Iris Graphics

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

She saved the money? I think that is wonderful. I like your 2013 choice. I think refurb is a great idea. Full warranty and Apple had a second-look at it.

BTW, Suck Face has a totally different meaning where I come from. :D

3. leman macrumors 604

Its one of the best general-purpose computers on the market... can't really go wrong with it. As to whether it will last long or not, its mostly up to luck, as with any laptop.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The model you are asking about is excellent. 1250 may seem like a lot, but you aren't going to find a laptop with that screen, that build quality, and those specs for less than 1250. It really is a competitive price considering what it is. As stated, a refurb is a good option due to still having the full warranty and such, and saving some money in the process.

5. RGT70 macrumors newbie

Agree with you on how long laptop lasts depends on luck.

6. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

First add the cost of AppleCare for the late night drinks spilled on it. As far as which model, that really depends on her lifestyle and what she plans to do with the laptop. If she plans to take it out and about then theft and damage is a real possibility. Saying she won't use it to its full capacity, don't be surprised when she does. Kids today, technology wise, are very well versed. You/we are old in tech years. Finally congrats on raising a sharp responsible daughter.

7. Redsfan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks suck is that..at times LOL!

----------

thanks for the replies. She doesn't yet understand the differences between build quality, etc, so I try to work with her on what I know about. Yes she has saved her money over time, and I do not want her buying something she may not be happy with over time. Still have to take her to an apple store and let her see for herself the weight vs. screen quality issues. I was honestly holding out hoping for a Retina Air but who knows when that day will come...

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

AppleCare is not an insurance policy and won't cover accidental damage. It is only an extended warranty (3 years vs. original 1 year) that covers manufacturing defects. Still, it's usually worth it.

You are probably confusing AppleCare with AppleCare+, which is an insurance policy. AppleCare+ is only offered on iOS devices, though, and not Macs.

-- Nathan

9. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

I would consider the Air too, especially if the usage is light, the only (noticeable) thing she will lose is the retina screen, but gain a lot of battery life and safe a nice amount of money.
    For example this air for 949 USD / 1039 Canadian Dollars:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

(the models linked above have 4GB of RAM vs. the 8GB which again is plenty enough for light usage - but I know there are many opinions on that matter so lets not start another 'future proofing discussion')

10. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Yup my bad;)

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Can't tell if serious or not. How long your Apple computer will last is almost always entirely up to you. Apple computers by default, are very well made machines that last. I had a MacBook (White; not pro) from 2006 to 2010. The only problems I ever had it were my own fault (physical neglect). That being said, as long as you take care of your Apple product and use your brain, you should easily be able to get 3-5 years out of it. No problem.

I think you answered this one your self. She will most certainly not need a seriously high-specced machine. A MacBook Air will have the power to do almost everything, if not everything, she would want to do. It also saves her money for either a) more saving power and/or b) more spending power (i.e. AppleCare, accessories, software, etc).

12. leman macrumors 604

And I can give you dozens of examples that counteract you experience. Your own anecdotal evidence does not make you an expert on computer longevity.

But in all seriousness, yes, luck is the main factor. Its basic probability — the electronics in your laptop has a certain life expectance and while there are factors which can increase/decrease it, your influence on them is fairly limited. Clean power, cool ambient temperature, not to much humidity, clean environment — this will reduce the probability of a premature failure. Taking care of the machine physically will keep it 'shiny' longer, but it does not have much influence on the longevity of the internals. In regards to this, Apple laptops don't have much that sets them over, say, budget Dell machines. And you should be able to get 3-5 years from any kind of laptop, no matter the manufacturer.

13. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Since she's been able to save, i would say thats a great start for her understanding the need to take care of what she has. Just let her pick which one she likes, if in the end she is unhappy, she will learn to better research what will do good for her in the future.

Cheers:)

14. ano0oj macrumors 6502

15. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I've been using a computer since i was 5 years old.

at 13 it was a must for me.

and i was born in 1989, i would imagine the need for one at an earlier age these days.

edit: but at 13, i would most def try to buy an affordable gaming rig :D

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Things are different now than when we were that age (1991). The kids I know have or want tablets. Ano0oj's comment was valid.

I'm surprised a 13 year old wants a laptop. They're certainly useful though, especially if she still has to write essays in a word processor and print them off to submit instead of using Google Drive. Or she wants a Mac over the cheapo Chromebooks a lot of schools are buying.

OP, the retina MacBook Pro is an excellent computer, especially the model you listed. I have the same one purchased new. It works very well for me in college and would certainly be good for high school over the next few years. Set her up with free iWork, and she should be good to go. Movies and tv shows also look great on the retina display :) I personally don't like the wedge design of the Air or the lack of retina (despite having a non-retina pro too).

17. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You're right. Maybe I had over thought what you said. Apple products are designed to last. The build quality I have noticed on Apple products is far superior to that of other competitors (typically). Of course, if you have bad luck (as you might say), then you might get a lemon (and what you say is sometimes the case). But you cannot really control your luck with that. What you can control is how you take care of your machine. More likely than not, the daughter of the OP will not receive a lemon. The lifetime of her machine will more than likely depend on how it is taken care of (i.e don't drink/eat around it, neglect it, accidentally leave it on in a backpack, etc.).

Should something go wrong, Apple's customer service is phenomenal. And you'd be kidding yourself if you said Apple doesn't have much over other manufacturers in this regard.

18. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

If this is a 2013 model won't that mean it's running Haswell? If so the battery life will be pretty exceptional.

Man after my own heart. Nothing like working for years to save up and build your first gaming rig, although I was more like 16 when I did my first super rig.

19. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Correct, both the 2013 and 2014 models use Haswell that brings the 13" battery life to up to 12 hours - you can find the 2012 model as refurb slightly cheaper but I would personally not take it for that reason.

20. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Wait for the Apple event on the 16th. If Apple does replace the 11" and 13" MBA with a 12" Retina MBA, there will more used/refurbed units on the market. Besides, she may want a rMBA if she had the cash.

21. plusnq macrumors member

My 13 y old daughter in Year 8 has a rmbp 13 inch. They do a lot of multimedia work in Adobe products. Each child has a subscription to the Adobe suite. She basically lives on that machine and her phone. She has an iPad mini retina as well but only seems to use it for holidays. I would definitely check what she needs for school before spending my money.

My son's school uses tablets universally but hilariously he does all his written work on his laptop at home and then sends it in via the school bulletin board. He prefers the multi windows/multitasking environment of the laptop to the tablet.

Cheers

Shane

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

+1

----------

Well when it comes to laptops MacBooks have the best quality hands down.

As for which model to get. You should probably get her an Air. Either refurb or through the best buy deals they offer.

Like the other poster said, she will lose the retina display but gain a longer battery life.

23. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

You might get tempted by a mac eventually:p

24. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I recommend the MacBook Air. It has more battery life, and is powerful enough, and light. It'll be nice to just slip that beauty into her backpack. Though I'm not sure if she'll be bringing it in to school..

Have her try out the computers at the store? She should determine which screen suits her best. I recommend 13", but she might want an 11" screen instead.

Don't worry about RAM or CPU upgrades, don't think she needs it.
    SSD on the other hand, maybe. If she'll be storing lots of pictures on this, then 256GB might be profitable.

I'm not sure what normal 13 year olds do on their MacBooks. I got a laptop when i was 13, and I used it for programming, multi-booting, installed hackintosh, oh and some school work. Facebook, youtube, etc.
    My laptop was a Dell Inspiron 1545. Pentium, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD... yaaaa.

Anyways, best of luck!

Good luck!

25. JJayguy23 macrumors member

JJayguy23

Wow

That's some awesome character trait your daughter has. Setting goals, and achieving them. Great job!