MB Pro Gaming question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clostylez, Jan 8, 2011.

1. clostylez macrumors newbie

Hello all, Im new to these forums, i tried searching for an answer to a question i have and i found no results, perhaps someone will be able to help me.

I recently purchases a 15" 2.8ghz i7 mbp w/ the high res screen (SOO nice :p)

I noticed when playing games like wow my battery life is horrible.. like not even 2 hours... when just web browsing or normal computing (vmware w/ windows 7) i seem to get 5-6 hrs of battery time. I have calibrated the battery, im just curious is this normal?

2nd. This is what really bugs me, I play wow and when im on battery power i receive NO notification that tells me my battery is running low. During the 1st week I got my mac it shut down on me without warning. Now i constantly check the battery meter on the side to see how much ive got when im playing. Isnt there some kind of warning that should pop up and tell me im @ 10% battery? I see the pop up if i use the command M function but when im in full screen mode i dont get any notifications.

thanks for the time everyone.

MAC > PC!! i will never go back! :D

2. GGJstudios, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, quite normal. Activities that demand more system resources, such as virtualization (VMWare), games, videos, flash on websites, etc. can drain the battery much faster than simple browsing or editing a document.
    You should get a low battery warning if you're running Mac OS X.
    Apple Portables: Low power warning does not appear while running off of the battery
    Make sure the battery is properly calibrated (steps in the link below).
    You might also reset SMC (see link below under CHARGING).

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. clostylez thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I see the notification but only if i use the Command M function to play WOW in windows mode. Only in windows mode is when i am notified, but in game fullscreen mode i dont get any warnings...:confused:

4. Creditcard macrumors member

It is correct that the warning only pops when you are not playing in full screen.

However, you do hear the sound notification :p

5. clostylez thread starter macrumors newbie

again i only hear sounds and see notifications if i am not in fullscreen mode.
    strangest thing.. i mean y dont i get a msg that pops up during the game?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't interrupt fullscreen mode for such a warning. You just have to check periodically if you're on battery.

7. clostylez thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all very much