As you can tell from my sig, my iBook bit the dust a few days ago (May she Rest in Peace). She was a great little computer and I had expected it a little longer than it did, so I decided to get an iMac in February and get a MacBook Pro around the time the Merom transition came around. Since loosing my laptop I have felt lost. I have been used to taking my data wherever I go and loosing that sense of mobility is awful. So at this point I don't know what to do. I was looking forward to the energy saving features and the 64-bit instruction sets the Merom could provide, but I find myself needing a laptop. Now I just can't decide if that need is a want. I would probably be able to make it to August/September if I wasn't going on a trip to Japan for a month. Not having my laptop would limit my ability to use my digital camera and communicate with people at home, as well as post pictures and such from my trip. I do have an old compaq laptop with an amd xp+ processor available to me that I could borrow, but it seems to have its fair share of problems as well. Sometimes it won't even boot and you have to press the reset button on the bottom of the case and it comes up with bad CMOS checks. So I'm worried about the reliability of that machine with the fact that if it did crash, I might loose all the data from my trip. I suppose since the limit seems to be 2GB of RAM in a MB Pro at the moment anyways, it doesn't much matter with the 64-bit instruction sets, but I still have no idea what to do. Plus, I can get the developer discount of a 17 inch @ 2239USD. Anyone with any suggestions? Should I buy now? Or wait til after my trip? What would be the better buy?