MB Pro screen has green & pink grid, kernel panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Idgit, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

I have a 15" MB Pro (Santa Rosa). It's been perfect until today. I installed the latest security update. A few hours later, while using Safari, the text turned pink and green and blurry. The the green/pink graphics garbage spread over the screen for about a minute until the whole system froze. I restarted and was immediately greeted with a green grid (like a checkered tablecloth) followed by a kernel panic. Letting the laptop cool down and zapping the pram gets it functionally normally again. This has happened twice.

Is this related to the security update or is my Nvidia card failing? Below are the console entries at the time of the event.

17/02/09 8:22:08 PM kernel Debug NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! status = 0xffff info32 = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

17/02/09 8:22:51 PM kernel Debug NVChannel(Display): Graphics channel timeout!

17/02/09 8:23:03 PM kernel Debug NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! status = 0xffff info32 = 0x6 = Fifo: Parse Error

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Your Graphics chip has begun to fail. Send it in for repair :)

3. Idgit thread starter macrumors 6502

Idgit

Will do.

I was able to trigger the graphics meltdown by simultaneously running a movie in Quicktime and another in Front Row. Here's a screenshot of what happens to my display.

[​IMG]

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Looks like you need to get your motherboard replaced.

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yep, it looks that way for yet another SR MBP owner. Join the club OP :eek:

On a lighter note, Samurai Jack was the weirdest but most intriguing cartoon I've ever seen! :D