MB pro4,1 - DVI error : blue "tint" on external display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kchrst, Oct 13, 2009.

1. kchrst macrumors newbie

I have a MacBookPro4,1, 2.4GHz from March 2008.

I use my MB Pro with an external display (a Dell 20.1" LCD monitor), i usually switch between this monitor and my Sony LCD screen. I use a DVI cable to connect to the monitor and the tv.

Now, all of a sudden it shows the picture as clear as it always has but with a blue "tint". Basicly the image sent to the external monitor is blueish. My best guess is that the red channel in the dvi port is broken or damaged in some way.

Anyone ever experienced a simular problem or have a suggestion to how i could replace my DVI port in the computer

Thanks for the help!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

First off, if it is something wrong with the physical port on the computer or the graphics chip driving it, "fix" means "new motherboard"; you can do it yourself with guides from iFixIt, but it's expensive and not easy.

Second, is the blue tint showing up on both the external monitor and TV? If it's only one, and they're both using DVI, maybe there's something wrong with the monitor or your display profile for it.

How severe is the tint? Are we talking "no red" or just "blueish"? If it's not 100%, it might just be that the wrong color profile got set for the monitor; open up "Displays" in the system prefs and go to the Color tab while the problem monitor is attached. Try selecting a different profile on it; you should see at least some change, and hopefully it'll get much better. You could also try running a calibration routine on it, just to see if that does anything.

That said, if this is pure DVI (as opposed to DVI out to VGA in on the monitor), I don't know if it's possible to just lose one channel like that. On an analog VGA (or DVI-A, but I doubt any monitor uses that) connection, there's a single signal for each color, but DVI(-D) is digital and a problem with the physical port would make it just not work or maybe drop out.

Now, a problem with the graphics chip, THAT could do just about anything.

3. fcamilleri macrumors member

Not really a big problem, just do what the guy above me just said, check the color settings, you can readjust them to about anything

4. kchrst thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply!

I have done the following:

1. Changed color profiles and settings (icc profiles) = No difference
    2. Tried to connect the MB Pro to 3 different LCD monitors and my TV = No difference

The screen is almost pure Blue, it does not look like a little "tweak" in the color. It simply looks like the red "channel" is gone somehow.

Is there any way of replacing the DVI port in the MB Pro, without doing an extensive work on the motherboard og graphics card.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Sounds like a bad color channel. You may want to get a DVI to VGA adapter for your MBP. Then connect to your screens via VGA. If it works it would certainly be much cheaper and easier than the alternatives.

Before going to a tech. I would try this first as the adapter is much cheaper than diagnostic fees. If it doesn't work you would already know it is a bad port.

Did you use the same cable to connect to each screen or a different one?

No. If it is just the port has a broken connection. The port is attached to the motherboard with numerous small connectors packed closely together. You would need a high temp soldering iron for resolder if possible or you will need both desoldering and soldering equipment to replace the port. Plus a lot of experience to avoid damaging the sensitive components.

Or you would need to spend a lot of money for a new/used motherboard. Which I would not do this since your model has the 8600m GT which is a faulty design of GPU. It is too much risk of developing other video issues later on.

6. kchrst thread starter macrumors newbie

I used different cables on each connection.

I have however partly solved the issue after Makosuke's comments. If i use a VGA cable to connect to the monitor, it works.

My guess is that some/one of the pins are "fried" and cant be solved.. kinda sad for a computer than aint much more than a year and a half old..

thanks for the help guys