MB Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by decunfuzdwun, Apr 12, 2016.

1. decunfuzdwun macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been a long time visitor of the site, first time poster though...to be really honest, never felt the need to signup prior to today.

So basically I'm looking to replace my old MacBook (mid-2010) model (not MBP or Air just MacBook).

There's not really any issues with the old one except that over time it's gotten slow, even though I put in an SSD drive a while back & removed the dvd drive & put in another 1tb hdd (for media, etc.) & upgraded the RAM to the max supported 8GB, I think it's finally time for me to replace it. But I would hate to blow up a small fortune doing that & I think the most feasible option would be to get one of the Macbooks which allow me to upgrade easily & comes in at an affordable cost.

I'm really open to any suggestions at the moment & any help as such would be much appreciated. My usage is pretty standard from checking my mail to downloading stuff, listening to music, browsing online, etc.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

There are no upgradeable macbooks sold anymore.

Any macbook sold today will easily suffice for your usage. In fact your 2010 should still work for what you mentioned.

3. decunfuzdwun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the prompt response, the 2010 sure does the job, but it's extremely sluggish during majority of the tasks + data transfers with a usb 2 are way too painfully slow compared with the vast majority of the notebooks these days which come with USB 3 (the one I use at work is way too fast compared to the one on my MB).

But it helps to know I could look at the cheapest one out there to suffice for my usage. By upgrade i meant maybe adding another HDD with whatever Apple puts as stock or replacing it altogether. But I guess thats no longer an option as you stated.

Thanks again, much appreciated!