MB runs loud

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MLO, Feb 23, 2009.

1. MLO macrumors member

I just a Macbook for a small, light traveling computer. Is it me or does it run kind of loud? I am constantly hearing the fan going.
    Nothing like my MBP.

Thanks

2. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

The rpm of your fan depends on how much cooling it has to do during operations. The generation of heat would be a combination of work environment and work load related to specifications.

Let us know a little about these factors so that we can help. -GDF

4. MLO thread starter macrumors member

Fan

Hi,
    Thanks for responding. The computer is being used for web browsing. Nothing more.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

6. MLO thread starter macrumors member

which one

I purchased the new uni body 2.4 Ghz, 2 gigs of ram

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Certainly shouldn't have loud fans for that, 'cept possibly if your watching a lot of video inline.

Have a look in activity monitor and see if there are any processes running other the apps you are using .there will probably be a couple of kernal tasks showing up from time to time , I wouldn't worry about those.
    Make sure you click the tab at the top of Activity Monitor to show 'All Processes '
    Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor

let us know what it shows

~m

8. MLO thread starter macrumors member

Well, I took the Macbook back to the store and they swapped it out for a new one. Still runs loud. Coming from the right corner near the track pad. Perhaps it's just the new design? Don't know what to do now.

9. Cali3350 macrumors regular

The right corner near the trackpad? That's where the battery is housed. Very peculiar that you hear sound from there. The fan is on the top left.

Did you buy the Macbook at the same store you replaced it? Perhaps a bad batch of batteries? Im dead serious when i say my Macbook is 100% quite when used in my dorm room for papers/email/web.

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

What you're hearing is definitely the Hard Drive.
    Due to the aluminum casing, some of these new Unibodies are louder than others. I am experiencing the exact same thing as you are.
    Some HDDs are louder than others (mine i think is the factory Toshiba).
    Some people hear it more than others, but it's something normal.
    You could always replace it with a different HDD and the noise would probably die down a little bit.