MB Screen Sharing for Parents?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am interested in purchasing a used mac book for my parents, and was wondering if it would be possible through my .mac account to jump on their computer when they are having difficulties through screen sharing? It would be like a remote desktop assistance because they really need it. Would this work? Or is screen sharing mostly for accessing files?

2. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

couln't you just use ichat screen sharing in lepoard... I am setting my parents up with an older powerbook to do just this....

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is really cool! I just watched a video on this on youtube, but they said you can only do this within a network? Is this right? Or could I do this for my parents who are a state away?

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

There is an application built-in to Leopard called Screen Sharing and that only works on Macs running Leopard on the same network. However, in iChat in Leopard you can share screens with any one else that is running Leopard regardless of where they are. For example, I helped set up a printer for my parents over 300 miles away.

5. ruZZ.il macrumors member

I use ichat to share my parents screen remotely (different cities) pretty often (less and less, they're figuring things out:cool: ). You both need to be either directly connected to the net, or at-least behind decently configured routers. I've got NAT working on both routers and it always works. For some reason, it doesn't work with some other routers.. even woth port configuration. <shrugs>..

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is sick! I gotta get this hooked up! Hopefully I don't have router problems