MB Sleep time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dukebound85, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is it normal that the white uni mb takes ~20 sec to sleep after I select it?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Is this basically the hibernation feature of InsomniaX?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What do you mean?
    SmartSleep or Mac OS X?

Current Intel Macs and some PowerBooks store the contents of the RAM onto the HDD in case the power (battery) goes out.
    Then you can start from that sleepimage again when there is power available again.

SmartSleep is so kind to circumvent that feature to allow faster sleep times (1 to 2 seconds if it doesn't have a hiccup). It also offers to create a sleepimage at a certain battery level so you can have the best of both worlds.

Hibernation copies the content of the RAM to the HDD and after it finishes it shuts down the computer to save more energy. Thus the wake process takes longer than from a real sleep.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I use it with my MacBook and MacBook Pro and it works 95% of the time.

When it doesn't work, an easy fix is to change the "current sleep state" from one to another, waiting til the change is applied, and then changing it back.

I use the Smart Sleep state by the way.

And it seems I like it, but that may be due to it being the only software I found offering those options, of fast sleep a least, as I was used to it during my iBook years.

When I bought my MacBook I didn't know it was broken (and I was not part of an online community - too young, 27) and brought it back to the store, where the only explanation was, that it is a normal behaviour. I then slowly found out via search what it really meant, and thus a new relationship with a new piece of software started. And I should log off for today. I'm babbling.

7. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

so is the only purpose for smart sleep is to make your mac sleep faster? whats the big deal if it take 15 secs to sleep, your not using it anyway. just wondering for clarification lol.

and ps spinnerlys you need some type of a macrumors award lol. you provide some of the most logical/knowledgeable answers iv seen on this forum.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's "important" of you are on the go a lot. That is one of the reasons I liked my iBook so much. I could close it, grab it, put it in my bag or under my arms or wherever one can put it, went the way I had to go, put the iBook back on whatever supporting surface there was, opened the lid, and there it was. The OS wide awake. And sometimes I just closed the lid just for fun to see how fast it would go to sleep.
    I haven't hat that kind of experience with any Windows laptop, so that was one of the big plusses.

And as I was used to that nifty, "little" feature, I wanted to have it with my new x86 Macs. And as the process of going to sleep takes longer the more you have in your RAM (and the more RAM you have the more can be packed into it), it took 28 seconds for my MacBook to go to sleep, which is not long of course, but it is 14 or more times longer than before.
    So SmartSleep was the solution and now I can again close the lid just for fun, which I still sometimes do, but not as often as with my iBook, as I don't want it to get envious.

Thanks, but there are lots of other knowledgeable posters around, and out of fairness they should receive the award too, and as I'm not so good with sharing, it's better to just forget the whole thing.

Was that logical and sound? ;)

11 to go.

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I use SmartSleep too for that very reason. When it's time to go and I want to pack up my MacBook, I need to have it sleep now. The 15 to 20 seconds drove me nuts. Now it's like close the lid and watch it blink... Bam! Definitely works for me.

My settings are-
    Current sleep state: smart sleep
    Sleep & Hibernate Lvl: 20

10. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i just dont understand why. why do you NEED it to sleep now when your packing it up and not using it anyway? your not using it you put it away. so whats the difference if it takes 15 more seconds to sleep. i just dont get it lol

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Because when you close the lid, the going to sleep part takes no longer than two seconds with SmartSleep.
    Without SmartSleep it takes ten times longer, and during that "copy RAM to HDD" process, the HDD is active, and it is not wise to move an active and spinning HDD, thus the faster going to sleep process is much better for us, the people who are used to fast sleep times due to their iBooks and PowerBooks.

It's a preference (pane).

12. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I see. Thanks for the reply :)

13. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

thats the answer i was looking for. makes sense about the hard drive...