MB suitable for my uses?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by northy124, Nov 30, 2015.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a new MacBook as my current model is struggling with the fan being busted and keyboard also semi-busted however I'm unsure if it's suitable for my uses. Basically I currently use my MBP for Netflix, 1080p films/series, Adobe suite and encoding my Blu-rays to MP4 (only those without Digital Copy). As well as the aforementioned uses, I do use my MBP for basic stuff like web browsing, emails and social media.

My personal thoughts are that Netflix is fine, 1080p could be fine but Adobe (mainly LR & PS) and encoding Blu-rays to MP4 could be an issue on the new MB. Am I right in my thinking?

Should I pay a bit extra for the machine (£1,299 for 1.3Ghz MB compared to £999 for 2.7Ghz rMBP) or should I just stick to an rMBP which I know is more than capable, I'm just not sure about the MB.

Cheers :)

2. pjfan macrumors regular

Where do you use your computer most often? And how often are you mobile or desk based?

Unless you absolutely despise the fan in your current mbp (or what use to be there ;) ), it seems that the rMB is a pretty hard sell for you. The 13" rMBP is much better suited for your needs at first glance. If you travel and compute while traveling a great deal, I could understand your desire - and the rMB ought to get the work done, just slower than rMBP.

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

No way do you want to encode HD videos on this.

Edit: I personally wouldn't do this on any of the dual core notebooks.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

In a word no if your need is to transcode video (Blue-ray) then you need a portable Mac with active cooling. you will be far better served by the 13" MacBook Pro (Retina). The rMB will be glacially slow to transcode video to the point of being painful...

FWIW I own 12", 13" & 15" Retina`s

Q-6

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

+1

6. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

I use the MBP at home, work and on travels.

I have been thinking about that, I went and played around today with the rMB and rMBP, I ended up ordering the rMBP as it's a beautiful machine that can handle what I want it to do although I won't encode as much as I feel that may not have helped my current and soon to be former MBP.
    I thought as much when I played around with them today, it's a beautiful machine and I'm tempted to get one in the future for travel use, or the iPad Pro, but for now and for use as my main machine, the rMBP is the way to go.

Thank you all for your replies, now I just need to work out how to install Windows through BootCamp on the new rMBP as it lacks a DVD drive....

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Just follow the couple of recent threads on Win 10 for MacBook as the principle is the same, any problems then ask away :)