MB to HDTV: only shows wallpaper (??)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ravenmaven, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ravenmaven macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my MacBook to my hdtv so I have a nice big screen to watch streaming video on. However, once connected, the tv screen only displays my MB wallpaper/background and nothing else from the MB screen including the cursor, icons, menus or (most importantly) streaming video (TNT.tv using Firefox).

I'm not particularly Mac or tech-savvy so any help on how to get past this point to being able to watch streaming video from my MB, on my tv screen, would be great.

If it matters: TV is a Sony Bravia. MacBook is a white 2008 (4,1) running OS 10.5.8.

Thanks for any help!!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

You can either try dragging one of your windows over to the TV by dragging it out to the left or right of your MacBook's screen or setting the two displays to mirror by pressing fn + f7 (until the desired setting is achieved).

3. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

Brilliant! I learn new keyboard shortcuts every day.

4. ravenmaven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! Dragging was the winner. I had simply assumed that the tv screen would be a mirror of my desktop, when, in fact, it's an extension of it. The dragging thing worked like a charm!

Now, if I can just figure out why full-screen mode for streaming video works on my tv screen fine with most sites (hulu, TNT, etc) but not for Netflix, then I'll be in dandy shape.

Thanks again!

5. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

For some things, I can't get it to full-screen when it's set up as a secondary monitor - I have to set it on mirror. Haven't figured out why, but it's not a huge hassle to change it (especially now that I have that new keyboard shortcut!!)

6. ravenmaven thread starter macrumors newbie