MB to MBP hard drive swap OK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lougle, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Lougle macrumors member

I recently upgraded from a MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008 - MacBook5,1) to a new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2.4GHz i5, Late 2011 - MacBookPro8,1). The MacBook was running Lion, 10.7.3. Having upgraded the MacBook's HD to a 750GB 7200rpm drive, I wanted to use this larger HD in my new MacBook Pro from the start. After purchasing the new machine, I opened up both and did a hard drive swap. The 750GB drive went into the new MacBook Pro and the new 500GB drive went into the MacBook. Everything went well. Both computers booted up. The MacBook started Lion setup as expected and the MacBook Pro loaded Lion and all was how I left it on my MacBook before the swap.

As I began to work on the MacBook Pro I noticed it did not have the newest EFI Firmware (Macbook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.3). I knew this because while booting off of another drive, Lion Internet Recovery was not a boot option. I ran software update and no updates were available. I downloaded the EFI Fireware update form apple.com (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450) and when I attempted to install it I received the message "This software is not supported on your system".

This raised concerns that maybe the hard drive swap was not the best idea. Does my MacBook Pro somehow, somewhere think it is a MacBook?

A screenshot of the MacBook Pro's System Report can be found here - http://db.tt/mBl70IY7

It reads that the computers current Boot ROM version is MBP81.0047.B26 while the support document (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450) reads that after updating the Boot ROM version should be MBP81.0047.B24.

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd use the migration assistant over moving the HD from older laptop to a newer one. You may introduce instabilities or issues.

Plus using a fresh install of OSX guarantees that if troubles do occur you can be sure that its not the result of the use of an older HD from an older laptop

3. Lougle thread starter macrumors member

I understand but I don't want to migrate from my 750GB drive to a 500GB drive. A swap seemed like the quickest option.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the drivers might not be 100% compaitble when changing from different hardware

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, then go for it, but you seem to already be running into issues.

Why not back up the 750GB drive, format it, and then restore your apps/data, that might be sufficient to resolve the problems you are incurring.