MB to MBP transferring of hard drive question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vaderhater245, Apr 6, 2009.

1. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

I am looking into purchasing a faster hard drive for my new unibody macbook. what i want to do is take the stock drive out of the macbook and put it into my 1st Gen Macbook Pro. its a 250GB 5400rpm drive. Would there be any issues in doing this???? and if it does register, would i just be able to turn on the macbook pro and everything be exactly how it was on the macbook?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It would work, and you could run the older MBP with the UMB's drive, but some drivers for the MBP would be missing.

Better do an archive an install, or use the Migration Assistant.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Depends if they are both core duos, or core 2 duos, but still after that I am not sure.

I don't know if the backlight drivers would be installed by default, video card drivers, things like that since they differ so much from the MB->MBP.

If nothing else, I would imagine, if you don't have a backup (which isn't a good idea just in case things go to hell here) you could transfer the HDD, boot from the Restore Disks for that MBP, and perform an Archive and Install while Preserving User Data and settings. This would install a fresh new OS, while keeping all your personal data intact.

4. vaderhater245 thread starter macrumors 6502

It would be a transfer from a Unibody 2.4Ghz Macbook to a 1st Gen CoreDuo Macbook Pro. The macbook pro has the original 100GB 7200rpm drive in it. Its been through a lot of abuse and tends to skip lately. I dont want the 250GB drive from the macbook to go to waste and I use the mbp as a personal machine with no heavy loads like it had before. If i just do a complete restore on the 250GB drive from the installer discs, could i just use time machine to restore everything?