MB totally freezed up! (worse than kernel panic?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cyberjunky, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Hi

earlier today my macbook was working fine, then out of the blue decided to lock up COMPLETELY, to the degree that not only was nothing happening, the clock wasnt working even the mouse wasnt moving, everything was entirely LOCKED... now i was using aMSN and had webcam on, was talking away and left the room, came back and it was like this. I rebooted the machine and now it works fine, i run all the maintenance tasks and used the disk util to repair the HDD from the CD.

But when the OS locks up so suddenly like that where nothing on the screen up dates the mouse doesnt even move:
    1) is this serious?
    2) is this leading up to something bad or is this nothing at all?
    3) what causes this kind of thing to happen?

thanks for your advice guys :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It happens.

You might want to check All Messages in Console just to see what was written to the log before you rebooted.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

it could be any number of things, but I can't imagine that an MSN messenger would be very stable. If it keeps happening even without the MSN messenger running then you may have a hardware issue.

5. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks though unfortunately after the reboot worried i may have a developing problem i ran all my maintenance apps so the console logs are now gone. If it happens again i shall check, but by the other 2 reactions i gather its no biggie, which is good news.

thanks guys.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd err on the side of backing up the data to DVD ...

Freezing like that could be and indication the drive is dying, keep an eye on it ... if it keeps happening, worry.

Some would say time machine, but me I'd only worry about the data and making sure you have the files, music, movies, pictures, data you need on a copy you know that can be restored to a new drive even if you have to reload the apps -- and don't forget dragging a copy of the e-mail folder to the DVD.

7. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

I hope that isnt necessary, i had a bad turn of luck last night where my backup HDD failed :( it just ticks over when i power it on :(:( so i must buy a new backup medium now :(:(

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Never, ever clear your logs. :D

9. danny_w macrumors 601

Unfortunately I have had many such total lockups (and also kernel panics) lately. The best I can tell it has to do with the 10.5.4 update in my case. I am trying tow ait for 10.5.5 but may be forced to restore my system to 10.5.2; I have several systems on 10.5.2 that are rock solid.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Archive and install the OS will most likely fix it.

Did that recently per suggestion of Genius Bar.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

I'll give that a try. I have a clone of the current system in case it doesn't work. Can you use Archive & Install to go back to an earlier revision? I currently ahve 10.5.4 installed but my dvd is 10.5.1 (I think).

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes. It will work. I personally download the combo updater and update afterwards. You can choose to save your user, apps, etc.

You can try to download the combo updater and reinstall that first.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

The combo updater is how I went from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 and got into this mess in the first place, but I can try it again. Everything was working so well under 10.5.2 that I wish I had left it alone.

EDIT: I think part of the problem is that I have Cisco VPN installed for work, and several other people have said that stability has gone downhill since 10.5.2 if you use Cisco VPN (there have been no VPN client updates).

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I repair permission before updating, and after updating.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

So do I. It might be overkill, but it can't hurt either.

16. cyberjunky thread starter macrumors regular

doubt that was it for me, i only have 10.4.11