MB turns off due to overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ernesto444, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ernesto444 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 13" macbook from around 2006 with core2duo processor.
    Recently it has begun turning off the power automatically, especially when watching videos or when I do anything more demanding than surfing.
    The problem doesn't occur when I put an ice-bag beneath the laptop - so it's definitely a case of the processor overheating.
    My question is how do I solve this? Would replacing the fan definitely help?
    Or could there be a different reason behind this malfunction, because I can hear the fan still spinning?

thanks for your help.

2. Vandalist macrumors newbie

I had the same exact problem as you. (2006 model too)

Kernel panics are what you're talking about, right? There would be a slight skip, and then there'd be a grey screen, with that lovely message forcing you to turn off the comp, right?

My problem was that over the years dust had gotten into the fan. This dust built up into a felt ball that was blocking heat from the comp. A fan replacement is not in order, but you're going to have to access it.

Follow this

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Fan/522/1

and just take out the glob under it. You could take some compressed air and clean out the fan itself as well, if you want.

When you watch videos, does the audio start distorting after the video/mouse starts stuttering?

Install SMCfancontrol. Don't play around with the fan settings, just take note of the fan speeds while playing videos. Does it max out at 6192 RPM, even when idle?

All of the above points to the dust thing.

3. ernesto444 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was talking about a sudden black-out although I have these kernel-panics too from time to time...

Anyway, I cleaned the fan and everything seems to be fine now! thanks a lot!

I also had the stuttering on videos but after the clean everything is running smooth! I had no idea that it could be connected to that because this problem occurred well before the overheating-problem and I blamed it on the software since it never stuttered on my Linux partition.