MB Unibody Vs MB White Wich one to Keep?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by riam, Jul 16, 2012.

1. riam macrumors regular

I am about to get rid of one of my two MB´s one is a Unibody Aluminum (Late 08) the other one is a White MB (Late 09)

The differences I have found are:

+They Have The same type of processor, the unibody is .14 Ghz Faster
    +The White one is one year newer
    +the unibody has light in the keyboard
    +the white one has a 7 hr (60 W) Battery the Unibody has 5 hr (45 W)
    +The Unibody is a bit smaller (.95 X 12.78 X 8.94) Vs (1.08 X 13 X 9.12)
    +The Unibody is .2 Lb Lighter

in every other aspect they are the same.

Globally I See more pros in the Unibody, but the fact that makes me a bit confused is that it is 1 year older but has the same technology.

What do you think is the best option to keep?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The main differentiating factor seems to be the battery. Decide for yourself how important that is to you, or if the outward appearance matters. They're really pretty much the same.

3. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Agreed.
    The two most important factors that come out of your description (for me) are:
    - backlit keyboard (realy useful stuff)
    - battery life (goes without saying)

I like the unibody look better, although the white MB has the "vintage" factor since they don't make them anymore.
    I would probably go with the White since its battery is in better condition, but I gotta say it's a tough one:)

PS. How much would you want for them (MB/MBP):)?

4. Shamil macrumors newbie

If me i will keep the unibody.got backlight keyboard.can be very useful when in dark places.

5. riam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, Even if you liked the price, I am in Mexico, and shipping to the US would be really complicated, also they have Spanish Keyboard and resale prices are considerably higher in Mexico than in The US

6. theRAMman macrumors regular

I would say the Alu unibody would be better. They are more durable, better looking and resist fingerprints better. The aluminium one also means that you could pretend its a MBP ;)

7. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I think you should keep the white MacBook... because it is the late 09 revision (which is also known as "unibody" because the case is made out of one piece of polycarbonate plastic (as opposed to 2 pieces in the previous version) and is more durable in general than the previous version. Also, as you said, it gets better battery life and SHOULD be a tiny bit faster.

On the other hand, the aluminum unibody has a backlit keyboard...

Any reason you can't keep them both :D?

8. riam thread starter macrumors regular

The Faster one is the Aluminum, They are both unibody, i think i will keep the Aluminum

I can Keep them Both but i don't need them both, one was mine and the other one is of my wife, she is keeping one of them i already got a brand new MBA 11' and i am waiting on new iMacs to get one, so i think i should get rid of one macbook.

9. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

My bad :p

probably good to keep the aluminum then... as it is a bit more solid and has better speed.

Oh yeah and don't worry about the battery life so much on it- as long as screen brightness is down and bluetooth is off you should be able to squeeze a good 4- 5 hours out of it before charging.

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

My opinion would be to keep the Aluminum MB because it would probably last longer. I know you say that the white unibody MB has a 7 hour battery but think of it this way; when that battery runs out you're going to be paying a bunch of money for apple to go inside the MB and replace it. With the Aluminum MB you'll be able to replace the battery by itself. Also, the aluminum material lasts longer than the white polycarbonate material (cracks, etc). Also the backlight keyboard is pretty much a deal breaker for me :)

11. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I'm just going to say to keep your Aluminum for the above reasons.. but also because it's aesthetically more modern.

12. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

:) I live in Poland:)
    The Spanish keyboard isn't a problem - from what I've seen it's the layout i sthe same apart from few extra symbols and little differences in extra symbols. Not an issue. I myself am using not the european but US keyboard.
    As for the price new Macbook in Mexico is a bit more expensive than in the US, but still cheaper than in Europe:)
    You're probably right that it will be to much of a hassle with the shipping costs and all, but if you don't mind then you can email your price, shipping costs, some pictures etc and we'll see okay?:)
    it's: johnlimbo@gmail.com

Best regards.

13. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Price differences are more than a bit different here in mexico. For example on apple us the base 13" mbp is 1200. + tax which would be about 1300. usd. You can find cheaper places. On the apple mexico site the base model is 21000. pesos or a little over 1600.00. Used is quite high because of the retail. Apple mexico is actually located in the us and the stuff ships from there.

14. riam thread starter macrumors regular

That is right, I live really near to the border of texas, and i usually buy my electronics in the us, and then sell them here in mexico and the price drop is minimal, for example

When i got my original iPad in the us for 790 USD tax included, i sold it in mexico a year after just before iPad 2 was available and i sold it for aprox 700 because a new one in mexico was sold for 950 in the same model, so i got the iPad 2 for 790 in the us, that was a great deal becouse i spent 100 usd a year and i kept my iPad with the latest technology the only hassle is the selling process but its worth it.

In the case of this macbook White, the resale value here in mexico is aprox 650 USD and in the us it is sold for 450 to 500 USD

15. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Yep, it's worth a run to the border for mac's. We live in a pueblo close to toluca, but with my DAV (disabled american veteran) discount with apple that's another 100.00 off on macbook pro's. Well worth a trip.

Not just mac's, any technology we get from the us.

Mercado Libre is a good place to sell.

There are a few things, like apple tv that is close enough to get through apple mx with the free shipping. Where we live anyway.