MB Unibody Vs MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by networkr, Nov 20, 2008.

1. networkr macrumors newbie

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

3. networkr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. majorp macrumors 6502

I just went from an old MBP 2.33 to a new MB.

Textmate / Photoshop are fine as soon as you get used to the lower resolution. I thought it would be hard to do that but it wasn't that bad.

5. networkr thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the heads up,I'll probably go for the new MB too.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Essentially, you are discussing a choice between purchasing a newer, stylish, possibly more attractive, lower spec computer, over a tested and tried somewhat older model which has more power, better performance, and perhaps most noteworthy, a far better and somewhat bigger screen. For what it's worth, my call would be the MBP, the refurb models offer very good value. In any case, I have one and it's an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck

7. networkr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man,I've done some extra research and found out that in the older mbps ,the graphics cards are not reliable and destined to fail ,and the screen has issues but I'm guessing this is just with a small percentage of people.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It is, I'd honestly go for the older one as it is more powerful. Notebooks aren't fashion accessories ;)

9. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

well they aren't fashion accessories, but they are close. you want a notebook that is small, lightweight, looks good, and durable. These new enclosures are so much better than the old ones. I'm certainly sold on the unibody mac experience. They are more stable, better made, and just stronger

10. ehotwill macrumors newbie

I'm having the same dilemma as well; albeit I won't be a robust user like you. Nonetheless, the price drop in the older MBP is VERY enticing. I am leaning more toward the older MBP though for the following two reasons. 1) although this may be a bad analogy, but this is how I sort of look at the two choices I'm faced with. I look at the unibody MB as the new BMW 3-series and the older MBP as the last year model of the 5-series. The new 3-series is definitely nice, but so is the older 5-series. 2) the MBP has been around and has proven itself as a solid higher performing machine and the new MB may encounter some growing pain initially. Although I am bit worried about the MBP because of some people having issues with the graphics card and the screen issue. But as someone pointed out, I think this may be a very small percentage. Case in point, I got the 3G iPhone and I haven't had any issue with the reported cracked casing. So, I'm not too worried about the unibody MB to have any huge problems.

11. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I think it's more than just "looks" - one major factor is portability. I know the specs say only 1 lb difference, but I have both a new MB & a 15" PB G4 (approx same weight as MBP).
    In my eyes, the portability of the new MB is FAR superior to the PB. From the standpoint of just moving it around the house to use in different locations, you can feel a difference toting the PB vs. the MB.

So I think how much you are planning on moving it around also enters into the discussion.

For me, I debated long and hard about the various differences, but I decided that the size/portability question was very important to me, and went with the MB (obviously).

Good luck!

12. networkr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd recommend the 2.2ghz old mbp for you. After spending about 2 hours in the apple store I am now leaning towards the 2.5ghz old mbp since I'm not a fan of the chiclet keyboard and the new unibodies feel a bit too gimmicky in some sense,they donot have that professional feeling that the older pros exhibit.Another factor for me is the glossy screen too on the current macs.If you can wait until january I'd say do so.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There is some truth in this, although the issue has not affected everyone who has a MBP. Nonetheles, the MBP is still an excellent computer, for all of the reasons I cited in my earlier post, and I'm happy with mine, and I'd still argue that it is a considerably better computer than the MB (and is competitively priced, too). In any case, my view is potential problems such as nVidia, are what Apple's warranty is designed to deal with, and ditto for Applecare (which I also have).

Cheers and good luck

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you don't have to use a credit card, you may want to consider craigslist. A lot of people are selling their legacy MBP and MB's in my area to buy the new systems.

One person was even selling her three month old 2.5 MBP for $1400! Before the refesh it was a $2500 machine.

15. networkr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help, I have decided to get the older MBP and purchase apple care with it. I've read some where that these issues were resolved with revision of the 8600 or something.