MB update timeline? Nehalem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PDXoPDX, Oct 22, 2008.

1. PDXoPDX macrumors member

Okay so I checked out the design of the new MB and really like it. I'm in the market for a new laptop but I'm wondering how far down the road the new MB might get a speed bump. It's Apple so nobody really knows, but maybe somebody "knows" ;)

I'm also curious about the Nehalem timeline since I heard that this is the only update that's really worth waiting for anyways.

Any clues?

2. PresentACat macrumors regular

Well, definately no clues. I suppose we know there is a rough date of Q3/4 of 2009 for mobile Nehalem, but without competition from AMD they are in no hurry to get it delivered.
    Also from several articles I have read, Nehalem is really meant to give the same power as Core 2 in gaming clock for clock (unthreaded apps, generally) but much better threaded behaviour such as that required for use in servers. In short I'm not confident how much difference it will make to every day tasks until programming catches up with the hardware.

My advice, buy now, and don't hold your breath for Nehalem, because if Intel don't take forever with it, Apple will.

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It just came out and you're already looking for a speed bump? ;)

We're probably at least a year away from seeing Nehalem in an Apple laptop.

4. Clancycoop macrumors member

Well since they just came out, we are a good while before the first speed bumps. We are the same distance away from the speed bump that you would be if you bought one after the next speed bump, so why not buy it now? You will never buy one if you always wait for the next one.

5. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Most likely Nehalem will probably be mid 2010.

6. PDXoPDX thread starter macrumors member

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

heard there might be a speed bump on appleinsider in march-June.

Nehalem, you'll have to wait at LEAST 9 months. :)

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

This topic was discussed in a thread just last week.

I predict that we'll hear this same question at least every week and we'll see it asked increasingly more as the days wear on. :confused:

9. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I second this opinion.
    It also stands to reason how much improvement the integrated memory controller really brings in a notebook. AMD had some trouble here, especially with integrated graphics where the processor could not enter sleep mode because it needed to refresh the graphics memory. I guess Intel will sort this out, but there might be delays and unintended side-effects with the new architecture...