MB v. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UA412, Dec 5, 2008.

1. UA412 macrumors member

I'm new to posting but I've been looking at this forum for awhile. I'm looking at two different computers. One is a little more then the other but price really won't matter. I'm looking for a laptop to use for college and one of my biggest concerns is the MBP practical for use in the classroom? I want to be able to easily carry this around and use it to take notes in class. Weight's not really a problem but size is. Do any of use the MBP for class? I also need this as a desktop replacement. Here are my two options.

Macbook - $1,574.00
    Specifications
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    * 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * None
    * Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

or

Macbook Pro - $1,639.00
    Specifications
    * 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB (I'd most likely upgrade this to 4 later)
    * 250GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    * None

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may not be aware that this question, like many others, has already been discussed quite a bit. Chances are good that your answers lie in existing threads, which you can find by searching the forums with this link. Here are some of the dozens of threads on this topic, filled with opinions and recommendations. If you don't find your answer there, let us know and we'll be happy to help! :)

Here are just a few of the threads with information on your question:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=MB v. MBP+site:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ite:forums.macrumors.com&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I'm new to posting but I've been looking at this forum for awhile. I'm looking at two different computers. One is a little more then the other but price really won't matter. I'm looking for a laptop to use for college and one of my biggest concerns is the MBP practical for use in the classroom? I want to be able to easily carry this around and use it to take notes in class. Weight's not really a problem but size is. Do any of use the MBP for class? I also need this as a desktop replacement. Here are my two options.

Macbook - $1,574.00
    Specifications
    * 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    * 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    * None

or
    So what year of Macbook Pro is that for 1639.00 ? As you have ddr3! Seems a little off!

4. UA412 thread starter macrumors member

It's the new low end MBP. I'm signing up for the ADC student membership.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

That makes sense, so I would go for the Macbook Pro, you wont regret it!

6. UA412 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Appreciate it.

7. UA412 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking but the size kind of made me waver on my decision. I've seen it in person but haven't seen it enough to be able to tell if it's gonna be a problem using in class.

Also didn't know if there were more problems for it or for the MB. I guess it's probably equal.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Size aside, if you're looking for a desktop replacement you might consider the MBP. I have an older-gen MacBook and, while it's a fine machine, it's no desktop replacement in my eyes.

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If money and weight is not an option, the MacBook Pro gets my vote.

10. darshan macrumors member

guys i was just wondering what is ADC membership

and what kind of perks does it offer with the macbook/pro products of the latest gen

11. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

well im a student, and i got about 150 other students around me with MBP 15.4" and all of us are very happy. (the computer was required for my major) but im just saying i love it and think if you spend the extra cash you will be rewarded with an overall better experience, the size is no issue, it fits in my backpack just fine and have no issues carrying it around.

12. UA412 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP is a superb computer, fast, powerful, great performance, a superb screen, and will easily see you through several years of college. I have one and I'm very happy with it. While the MB is an excellent computer, for the extra cash, - assuming you don't mind slightly more weight (which is more than compensated for by the superb screen) - the MBP is more than worth it.

Cheers and good luck