MB vs 13mbp vs 15mbp

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thejrace, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Thejrace macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So i am looking at an entry into macs. Need a laptop and am on a budget. Found a few options on cl. First is a mid 2009 macbook, with a 120 ssd for $250. Next up is a 13" 2010 mbp with a 128 ssd for $400. Lastly is a 15" 2010 mbp with a non functioning superdrive at $400. All have 4 gigs of ram, so i would be functioning fine there. I do really want a ssd, so the two that have em get a nudge there. The only thing is that i wanted at least a 240 ssd in my rig. I would love to have the 15" as its a more powerful machine than the 13mbp, but the superdrive not functioning sure does stink. Is it hard to fix superdrives? Any suggestions as to what i should get? Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to join the mac family.

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Replace Optical with SSD

You could simply replace the optical drive with a 250 GB SSD and get an external (non-Apple) DVD or even a Blu-Ray burner.

(The Apple External Superdrive does not work with computers that came with an internal superdrive. If someone has a way around that I would love to know.)

Bang for the buck though is the Macbook. I have the same model without the SSD And use it every day.

3. Thejrace thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rjphoto, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

sure. It will run both.
    I'm running Mavericks with 4 GB on a 750 GB HD
    More RAM would be helpful.

5. Thejrace thread starter macrumors newbie

Went with the mb and am quite happy. Thanks for the help!