MB vs. IMAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by closeupman, Mar 6, 2008.

1. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

I'm wavering between a refurb MB or refurb Alum iMac. I had thought MBP, but not sure about spending 450 more.

I'm trying to decide between the two. I have a classmate who has FCP installed on his MB(just the editing part), which I had already heard can run it. He couldn't install the full suite because he didn't want to fill up his HD with just FCP.

So I wanted to know, can you run Motion because of the integrated graphics? Has anyone run Motion on a MB? What about the Color correction program? Soundtrack Pro?

I'm trying to decide and would prefer the MB as I could store it away, rather than an IMAC taking up desk space. But I'm thinking the $150 is worth it......

Thanks

2. jfull15 macrumors 6502

You can't run Motion on a MB. Your best bet is to go with an iMac, or really the MBP. But, I understand the price point. Yeah, get the iMac, well really you need the extreme iMac or a MBP for what you're doing..

3. closeupman thread starter macrumors member

closeupman

Thanks for your response. I probably wouldn't run Motion for a while. I'm going to get ADOBE Master collection as well. Seems silly that after effects can run on integrated graphics but Motion won't.

4. jfull15 macrumors 6502

yeah, especially if you're running CS3 too, do yourself a favor and get an iMac. I have the 2.8ghz 4gb ram with CS3 and FCS2 both on them running perfectly, and I have nightmares about running them both on a macbook.