MB Vs. MB Pro for Me

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PHILIP1193, Jun 16, 2017.

?

MB or MBP for my uses

1. MB

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. MB Pro

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

Sorry to ask this question as I know it's probably been done to death, but I have a 17" top of the range Alienware laptop I rarely use as it's a desktop replacement type gaming machine. I now want something light and small but could do the odd bit of CS GO.

I'm torn between the base spec MB and MB Pro. I don't intend to use the laptop out of the house much and I don't do much productivity work. Mainly just web browsing and emails on the sofa so something light is key (I've never held either to gague it but both look light on paper).

I like the idea of the MB but I'm unsure if I should get the MBP just because it's a bit more powerful for the same money?

Is the MBP screen any better?

The only other thing the laptop will be used for is for watching films on flights around 4-5 times a year. The MB is smaller so will likely fit in the table tray in front better?

Any input is appreciated.

2. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

Surely it'd be best on your economy couch table.
    However, you'll sacrifice many things such as performance and connectivities just for the weight, size, and silence.
    Oh well, for me, weight, size and silence were everything I care about.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If you've ever used both dual cores and quad cores on MacOS.. it's night and day difference. I would rather have the 13" size but the performance just isn't enough. The 15" in an economy seat is fine until someone reclines and you're forced to slide the laptop toward your body and it's uncomfortable. For videos, an iPad on a plane is so much better.

4. psymac, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017

psymac macrumors 6502

Almost went with the base MBP, given its many hardware features over that of the MB and similar price. But once you use the MB for awhile, just wasn't worth it for me to give up its incredible portability and good enough computing.

Yes, the MB does fit airplane tray tables perfectly, and also my stomach tray table when I'm lying down.

5. Graham Perks macrumors member

If you want a desktop replacement, look at the MBPro. If you want something to carry around a bit but can't go iPad, get the MB. I've somehow managed to live life with only one USB port. :) It works fine as the battery lasts so long I just charge overnight.

6. maerz001 macrumors 6502

for your needs MB power is more than enough. the price is only the same cos MBP has 128GB vs 256GB on the MB.
    ipad would also work.
    the screen on the MBP is a bit brighter and has higher color range. but still the MB screen is very good