MB vs MBP dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by capo64, Apr 30, 2009.

1. capo64 macrumors member

Ok, I have a dilemma and I know this one is asked all the time, but mine's a little different I think.

I don't NEED the power of the MBP. I know for a fact I don't (though it would certainly be welcome). I have a 3.06 iMac for when I need some power. My dilemma is the screen size. 13" to me seems very small. As I said, I just bought a 24" iMac a month ago, and now I'm used to the size of this monster. I'd ideally want a 17" Alu MacBook, but that's obviously not available.

I guess my question is: Is the 13" screen enough on the MacBook--what are your experiences? I would use it for chatting, web browsing (I'm the kind of person that will end up with 15 tabs open in FF, so I like to have a lot of space), some web publishing, and maybe for movies if I'm not in my room. I don't have much time on my hands to go to the Apple store and check out the different monitor sizes, but that's on my agenda of things to do. In the mean time, how do you like the 13" screen on the Alu MacBook (white one is out of the question for me).

I was thinking of going refurb low-end MBP just for the screen, anyone have other suggestions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Erm, they're both crappy 13 inch screens, if you're going to settle for less, you might as well save as much money as you can.

3. capo64 thread starter macrumors member

That's true.. But I want that trackpad on the Alu ones.

This settling for less talk makes me really want the Pro now, though.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Personally I do not enjoy syncing computers, and buying two computers around the same time just means I'd want to replace them both at the same time which can get expensive. Not to mention you wind up getting less use out of both of them (unless of course two machines are essential to your livelihood, which doesn't seem to be your case).

If I were you, I'd think about selling your iMac and getting a Macbook Pro and maybe a nice external monitor. Best of both worlds... kind of.

5. iBadger macrumors member

I had the same trouble deciding which mac to purchase. I actually just recieved my mac today and I went with the 13". I couldn't pass up the refurb $1100(I will upgrade ram to 4gig and get a bigger harddrive). Saved plenty of money choosing the macbook. To me the 15" wasn't worth it only has an additional 2" and a slight speed boost. Also I wanted a mac now and the 17" has the new battery, so I didn't want to get stuck with a 15" that may get updated.

I am more than please with the 13" and the screen seems big enough for browsing, IDE's, typing......plus if I care about the screen size I could just hook it up to my 24" monitor.

6. capo64 thread starter macrumors member

Great point, I just remembered I have a 22" widescreen from my old PC, and I already have a mini-display port converter. But I have the 24" iMac for when i really need space anyway. You mighta just made my decision for me.

@miles, I do agree with you, but I reeeeeeally like my iMac, heh. I can get by with the iMac but I do a lot of web work (hours on the comp), and sometimes I really just need a change of environment even if it just means moving to the next room or something. I also want a laptop for college next year.

7. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

to me the smaller the laptop the better.

I would use the laptop like when you're on a trip or something.

I would like the smallest they have. having a 17" inch laptop around to me you matter as well just get a desktop.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I agree with the poster above. Its a laptop, its supposed to be small, especially with that 24" iMac sitting at the ready.

9. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I don't really get the point of 15"+ laptops. It's going to be a hassle to bring anywhere.

10. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Ooooo, I'll tell you what, the MBP with a monitor is great. Its your iMac on the go everywhere. I have the 15" and take it everywhere at school and also have all the power I need right with me for doing work on the go. Plug in for bigger screen, couple hours unplug go sit outside, or on the couch. If you are busy like me in school, you won't want to spend time syncing your iMac with your notebook. You'll find yourself using that notebook all the time. So might as well have that iMac at your fingertips in notebook form. That's my take on it at least.

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

the way the new unibodys are designed (with the black border around the screen) they look larger than they are. 13 inch looks like a 15, and the 15 looks liek a 17 to me.

12. aleni macrumors 68000

i own a UMBP 17". i know laptop is supposed to be smaller, but with my use of using illustrator cs 4, i really can't live with a smaller laptop, and i don't feel comfortable hooking up to external monitor, and hook it off when i don't need it. it's really a hassle (at least for me).

and my usage, i only use it at home, and in the morning, i put it on the car and bring it to my office, so it's not really bugging me as i don't have to lug it around riding a public transportation.

when i want to check a website or checking email on the go, i just use my iPhone..

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, the deciding factor was the extra screen real estate. I didn't need the power of the MBP, I just wanted the larger screen.

14. rtmadden macrumors regular

+1

15. Gustavo macrumors newbie

Go for the bigger screen

I wish they would have rolled out the 17" at the same time as the 15" MBP...I have never wished I had a smaller screen. The 13" MB feels a little small...use an iPhone if you want small. The new UMBP are awesome.

16. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The MBP has a larger AND higher quality screen.

17. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Pretty sure the OP isn't going to be able to do his web publishing on an iPhone though...

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Obviously you've never owned a 15" laptop, or you're a female and can't fit it into your purse. The 15" is hardly any more trouble to carry around than the 13".

19. Eyedn macrumors regular

Exactly what they said. Get the MBP, its a really nice laptop.

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go into a best buy or apple store and lay eyes and hands on the machines. I agree with the comments about the 13" uni MB screens, they're not as nice as the MBP's. But if all you're using it for is surfing and iApps, it's sufficient. If the MB screens were the same quality as the MBP's but smaller, they wouldn't be selling nearly as many of the pro machines (in my opinion).

After looking at the two machines, if you want the larger, nicer screen, make a decision to buy the MBP. If you would rather have a more portable form factor, decide to purchase the MB.

Then, go on the refurb section of the apple store and buy whichever machine you want for a discount.

We can all sit here on the boards and argue over the merits of the MB vs the MBP all day until we're blue in the face, but it would be using facts to justify our subjective decisions. Screen versus price and portability was the major decision for me. Good luck with your decision.

21. aleni macrumors 68000

the mb screen is inferior compared to the mbp. not only resolution but colors quality too. look carefully.

22. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

But probably perfectly acceptable for what the OP wants it for...

23. capo64 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, lots of replies, thanks.

Lots of mixed opinions too, I think II really have to go to the store before I can make any type of decision. Maybe this weekend I'll go.

I do have an iPhone for checking emails. That's what dragged me into the rest of the Apple products. But I obviously can't do much work on that, typing is a pain (for anything lengthy).

I'm not looking for something that I can take with me everywhere. I'll only use it at home until college, and even then most of my classes will have computer labs (I'm going for Electrical/Computer Engineering). I just want something that I can work on in another room, outside, or in my bed before I go to sleep.

24. aleni macrumors 68000

better than "30 views and no reply?? COME ON!!! BUMPP!!!!".

LOL..

after looking at your reply and usage, then i believe macbook is pretty damn fine for you, because the smaller footprint and more portable than the MBP.

when you go to apple store to get one, make sure you don't ever look at the MBP screen or it will tinker your mind and bug you when u see the MB screen..