MB vs. MBP display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klover, Oct 21, 2009.

1. klover macrumors 6502a

Had an opportunity to compare the new Macbook display to it's Pro companions today and I was quite impressed. I had a MBP 13" (brightness maxed) next to the new Macbook (brightness maxed) both running on external power. I spent about 15 minutes comparing the two.

The MBP had a 9C9E display and the Macbook had a 9C91 display.

To my surprise, the black levels on the Macbook were actually better than the MBP. On a full black desktop the MBP had some minor backlight bleed near the bottom but the MB was uniformly black (and blacker). Reminded me of my Macbook Air (1st Gen). Now, the black levels may have been better because I immediately noticed the MB was not as bright. Eyeballing it, I had to drop the MB down two notches in brightness to match (as best I could tell) the MB.

Reflections (under light) were less pronounced with the MB. Colors were oh-so-slight muted on the MB but still looked good. I don't know if the MB uses a high(er) gamut screen - seems unlikely from what I saw.

Anyway, just my initial observations but I was very, very pleased.

PS - I love the base of the new MB...reminds me of the bottom of a Time Capsule.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

How many different panels are being used in the new MB? There are at least 6 in the MBP so a comparison of one particular to the other particular doesn't really say too much.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think you need to wait a little while before you'll know but historically the panel in the MB is inferior to the panels in the MBPs. Gizmodo also reports a 60% gamma difference in favor of the MBP between the two.