MB vs. MBP flaws

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by souldawg, Jun 27, 2008.

1. souldawg macrumors member

This is more of a hypothetical question I've been having. When I finally do upgrade my iBook, I'm getting a MB. However, after reading these forums and the different sets of flaws between the two machines it got me wondering.

If you were going to buy a MB or a MBP purely based off of the known defects and flaws, which one would you buy? Assuming that all the specs are the same, which set of major flaws or issues would dissuade you from you purchasing one or the other? Or statedly differently which problems do you consider worse - cracked casing or flawed screens or heat? If all of the specs were the same, which problem would be a deal breaker for you in purchasing a new machine?

Completely random question I know, but I thought just another angle in looking at the MB vs. MBP debate.

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I have a refurb'd MB, and love it. The only setback is the screen size really. I'd prefer the larger screen, but I have to say I really do like the MB. Solid wireless, good portability, etc...

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The OP isn't talking about Pros vs. Cons s/he's talking about defects. Which machine do you think has a lower defect rate, essentially.

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

On flaws alone, I think I'd go buy the MB, not the MBP.

Although, that's not your question, I'm writing this on a 2.33Ghz MBP, and have been a macuser for 18 years. My next laptop, though, will be Thinkpad - quite possibly dual booting XP and OS X.

5. keehun macrumors regular

Different Aspects.

Just adding a little thought, while MB and MBP can be compared to each other, Apple developed MB as a consumer–"friendly" device while MBP was meant to be a "Pro" machine. I think Apple has different priorities when it comes to each of them?

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

Yup, but this thread is based on flaws alone - not on "different priorities", specs, screen size, glossy/matte etc.

7. souldawg thread starter macrumors member

That was my intention for the thread but I guess I didn't state it clearly.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'd go with the pro as I think I could deal with a dented/bent case a lot better than I could deal with a cracked case.

9. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, the MB case can crack and the MBP case can dent and warp, but not under it's own forces, so I'd have to go with MBP based solely on flaws.

10. DaveF macrumors 6502a

What flaws do the MBP have? Bent case? Does it spontaneously bend? Because bending when handled badly enough to break another case isn't a flaw, but the user's fault.

There's the yellow screen issue. I've never seen it in the store or noticed in on my MBP, so it's hard to accept that as a ubiquitous flaw.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

some people have received macbook pros that don't quite sit right from the beginning because they were slightly warped.