MB VS MBP - Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Milk*is*tasty, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Has anyone (site or person) really tested how much noise the MB and MBP makes?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If the fans aren't running (which is most of the time), dead silent. With the fans, it's variable, but less bothersome than concerning--not that it's a pending problem, but you get REAL used to not hearing a whisper out of them.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I've used both machines, and they've never bothered me, and I've never heard complaints unless it was something happening out of the ordinary.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

We have one of each, the original C2D lines, and there is certainly not a huge difference. I have the fans on my MBP set a little more aggressively, but all in all they are both very quiet laptops.

The can sound like harriers when they really get going, but for normal every day tasks they are both quiet relative to their PC siblings provided by our employers...

5. Milk*is*tasty thread starter macrumors member

The thing is, I really need a number. I'm going to use it for recording sound, and believe me, rooms that people say are quiet, in actuality - aren't.

6. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

If you're that keen on having perfect sound quality for whatever reason, I'd say go with the MBP just for the added performance.

7. Milk*is*tasty thread starter macrumors member

What added performance? Marginally faster CPU isn't enough to warrant the price jump. Also, I'm using an external Eizo display, so the screen is rather irrelevant. I also fail to see how performance is going to affect sound quality.

8. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

macbook pro's are aluminum and thus dissipate heat better, thus requiring the fans to work less.

I do a lot of recording on my powerbook and it would be really annoying if the fans kicked in, so I downloaded a fan control app to prevent this.

mac's are quieter than other laptops.