MB vs MBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaffeMacchiato, Nov 17, 2008.

1. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

Is it true that the even though when both MB and MBP are using the 9400M integrated graphics card. The MBP offer better screen quality? Even though they have the same resolution?

If there is a difference, what is it?

2. MIKE666 macrumors regular

errr, for a start they are different screens. even comparing MacBooks screens to other MacBooks you may find different results due to the screens being made by a few companys.

Also last time i checked the MB screen resolution was 1280*800 or around that number. Im pretty sure the 15'' MBP has a resolution of 1440*900. Im guessing that due to the price difference the MBP has a slightly higher quality screen.

As the name suggests the MBP is for Pro's who, depending on what they do, may need a better quality screen. The MB used to be aimed at your average person, and i guess it still is but with the massive price rise in the UK not may of your average people will want to pay so much for a laptop.

Im not sure of the difference in image quality when using the 9600vs9400, but i think i did see a youtube video which showed a bit of a difference, but never trust anything you see on the internet;)

3. CaffeMacchiato thread starter macrumors member

There should be no visible difference when a MBP is using the 9600 (dedicated) or 9400 (integrated) graphics displaying a still image, using the same glossy screen. The difference comes when it is performing rendering, or games that requires high frames per second refresh.

The question is, what is 'higher quality'? What is it measured in terms of? Dynamic/real contrast? View angle? Illumination on various parts of the screen?

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Contrast and viewing angle is noticeably better on the MBP over the standard MacBook. The easiest way to make your decision is to go and compare them yourself at an Apple store or retailer carrying both models.

[​IMG]

5. farlane macrumors newbie

The most important difference are black values and viewing angles. This is noticable when working in a dark, non-mirroring environment looking at what should be a continuous black picture.

On MBs you'll see a dark black on the top and then a slight gradient towards a silvery grey at the bottom of the screen (or otherwise... there is just no perfect "sweet spot"). Even when looking straight at it.

On MBP you shouldn't get this problem, at least when looking in a straight 90° angle at the middle of the screen.

The left is a MBP:

[​IMG]

6. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

If I understand correctly, the MacBooks use four different manufacturers for their displays: Samsung, LG, Chiang-something, and another (too lazy to go look it up). There are threads about avoiding one or the other on the forums. However, the MacBook Pros use only one manufacturer which is a superior display in both resolution and overall quality (and VRAM/GPU). The MacBook Airs use the same advanced displays as the Pros.... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

MBPs use both Chei-Mei and LG monitors. You can check and Chei-Mei's code finishes with 84 and LG's finishes with 85.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The MBP has a better quality screen, as least when it comes to viewing angles, overall screen washout and differentiating blacks and dark colors. It is also generally brighter than the MB.

To be honest, I exchanged my MB for the MBP because I wasn't satisified with the screen, even though it is overkill for my needs.

Google macbook and macbook pro reviews and you'll see the reviewers looking at the two machines side by side can tell a difference between the screens.

It also makes sense from a business standpoint for apple to do this, or else EVERYONE except graphics professionals and hardcore gamers would buy the 'cheaper' MB. Calibrating the MB's screen or using a color profile based on its manufacturer will help with the displaying darks problem. Compared to my friends year old whitebooks and blackbooks, the new MB screen is comparitively light years ahead. If you buy a MB, I'd suggest looking at a tim burton movie, classic black and white film noir on DVD, or look at the latest steve keynote on the apple website. If it looks like Steve is a freefloating head during his presentation, and you cannot tell that he's wearing a black turtleneck with light reflecting on the top of his shoulders, the screen does not pass muster (IMO).

9. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Oh okay... so there are two different manufacturers in the Pros as well? I guess I'm gonna have to check mine. Is the LG preferable or has there been any distinction one way or the other?

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

There have been threads with people saying that the LG is preferable (which is what I've got), unlike the MB's. If you're happy with your screen, does it matter who made it?

11. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

It's just psychology is all. If one knows they paid a lot of $ or the same as someone else who got the "preferred" version then it leads one to think they too should have that option. Human nature. :eek:

P.S. I don't know which I have yet, so I can't answer you if I'm happy with it or not.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Is there any documentation to support this? Every time I ask, all I get is an opinion, or an I read it someplace response. It would be nice to know for sure.

[​IMG]

13. 7even macrumors 6502a

Other way around... :D

14. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Other way around? That confuses things a little more. Now we really need to see the documentation.

15. 7even macrumors 6502a

Exporting and viewing a profile using SwitchResX gives the LCD's exact panel info. The 84's panel comes out to be the LP154WP3-TLA1 which is an LG panel. The 85s have a N154C6-L04, which is a panel by Chi Mei.

16. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

Good to know... I will check it out as soon as I am able. Thanks.

17. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I wish there was a way to know what screen you have prior to opening the box :(

18. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

There is: Call Apple with the serial number before opening the box and they can give you all info. That doesn't mean the vendor will let you trade until you get one that is the display you like. You would have to have a loyal account executive who is willing to check all this before shipping your unit!

19. CaffeMacchiato thread starter macrumors member

Buying a medium-priced or higher end laptop with dead pixel(s) is simply not acceptable. They should reimburse the customer for the lousy experience. Not to mention the frustration and time wasted. Disappointment is priceless. Did they not perform their posh six-sigma approach to ensuring a good product. Then again, exploiting those cheap labours who are not paid enough to give a damn--probably is the most profitable arrangement.

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Good luck with the refund. Perhaps you should look into the competitive landscape as a comparison on pixel policy. Granted, Apple does not publish theirs, so All 3 of these companies are ahead of the game in those regards.

Thanks for finally clarifying that.

[​IMG]

21. SWLinPHX macrumors regular

SWLinPHX

That was interesting to know. Are you absolutely sure Apple doesn't publish this information anywhere online or in printed documentation?

22. CaffeMacchiato thread starter macrumors member

Where and how do i check the number?

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

here ya go

Open system preferences, click on displays. Open the color tab on the far right. Check color LCD if it's not highlighted already. Click on the profile tab. Scroll down and highlight number 13 'mmod' and it will tell you the model number of the display. Mine is a 9C84. I've used a color profile for this display that I found on these forums, and I think it's gorgeous.

But I'm confused. Other posters have told me my display is an LG, not the other one...screw it, after having a macbook, I'm satisfied with it.

24. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

That is hilarious, so in other words some people who are adamant that one brand is better than the other might have it wrong themselves. Who knows? I've yet to see any proof one is better than the other. Could it be some people are just trying to convince themselves that their machines are superior to the others? hmmm...

Anyways, whats this about "color profiles?" Is it a sort of "preset" of the settings/calibration to bring out better colors? Which one did you use?

25. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I was thinking of getting the MB, but seeing that screen compared to the MBP screen made me stop dead in my tracks! IMHO, there is just such a huge difference between the MBP and MB screens. I ended up getting a MBP Classic off the web while I was in the Apple store!

Even though the MB is a "backlit LCD" screen, I think it's closer to the white Macbook screen than it is to the MBP (current and classic) screen.