MB vs MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waynewayne, Oct 31, 2016.

1. waynewayne macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I'm currently using a mid-2010 13" MBP. My use is basic web work, some movies and some general hoobyist work (spreadsheets, app and website coding with associated basic photoshop work)

Performance of the mid-2010 is fine (8gb RAM and SSD).

I'm finding the screen too cramped so was intending on waiting for the new MBP then getting a 15". The prices are a bit much though so am considering options.

Would a MB be suitable? Seems a bit light for my uses generally but seems to outperform on most benchmark tests I have seen.

I'd need a dock as I have a workstation I occasionally use (screen, USB keyboard + mouse).

Other option is a 13" MBP which seems more sensible potentially, but a chunk more cash.

2. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

I have the 2016 rMB m3, I use it for typical college work along with some photography stuff on the side for fun. Never had an issue with performance. I would imagine it would work fine with website coding as well.

As for using it as a workstation, I was thinking to get a Type-C hub with HDMI out and hook it up with one of my 1080p monitors, external keyboard and a bluetooth mouse, but my work on this laptop doesn't require me to do so, just typical college work. It's an option down the road if I do decide to use as a workstation though.

3. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

If you find your 13" MBP screen small than you probably wouldn't like the 12" Macbook screen as it's even smaller. I'm not sure where you are but Amazon had the new base MBP for $1139 on pre-order so there may be deals out there for the new Pros if you're patient.

4. waynewayne thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea it's the screen I'm not sure on - overall resolution is higher on the 12" than my non-retina 13" which is why I was considering it. I'm in the UK so prices have gone nuts here!