MB vs MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rinz, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Rinz macrumors newbie

Hi.
    So I decided a while ago that I was going to get a Macbook. But I've waited until now, for things to develop with the new MB's and MBP's. unfortunately however, I'm still very much in two minds about which one is right for me. I should also point out that I don't really know much about macs at all, and this will be my first.

I've considered the options and (price wise) the decision for me is between the high end Macbook and the low end MacBook Pro. Something else which I try desperately not to influence my decision is - I find the standard MacBooks much better looking than the Pro's :cool:

I'm a web/graphic/multimedia design student, so what I'd primarily want to use it for would roughly follow those lines. Of course there's other things, but thats the main purpose. And games are not really a large necessity for me, although I do enjoy them from time to time.

given this, my questions to you are...

Overall which machine would be best for me?
    Will I find the MacBook restrictive or lacking in the performance area in any way?
    What level of work do I need to be doing, before a shift from a MB to a MBP becomes necessary?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Name all of the applications applications you are going to mainly use. That will help to decide what mac you should get.

3. Rinz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sorry. To be more specific, I mainly work with Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver and Premiere. But I'd also like the possibility of being able to run an audio sequencer, and some sort of 3D software like Cinema 4D.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

In a bit of a rush now, but.... what you've asked about on the whole will run v v well on a MB.

If you're using something like Cinema 4D a lot, you would be better off with a MBP. If it's only occassional, you could do make do with the MB - it's not brilliant, but not as bad as you would expect... or as much as people will leap to say :p

Here's some benchmarks from last year - http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=44807

I probably can dig out some more benchmarks, but as I say if you are going to be using 3D heavily then go with the MBP.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If its important to you, the new MBP 15" has a more colour accurate screen than the MB.

6. thenick512 macrumors newbie

These are the same programs I will be running with the exception of premiere and audio stuff or 3d software. I'll be running FCE and from what I heard it runs very well on a macbook. I've owned 4 powerbooks and really need something smaller to take on the road with me. I have a 20 inch lcd at home what sits and waits to be dual screened so screen size isn't so much an issue. I'm not sure why I'm afraid of being disappointed by macbook performance. I have a feeling that i will be totally fine with it. Do you guys have first hand experience with these programs and macbooks. I'm looking at the higher end blackbook. i know most people think its a waste but I'm a sucker for the black.

7. Rinz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was interesting to look at. I wouldn't really be using C4D extensively, but more occassionally. So in that respect it makes a MB appear to be more adequate for my needs.

I still have doubts though, that I can't seem to rationalize.

As someone above mentioned, colour is quite important to me. But I've never had the opportunity to compare what the difference is in this, between the MB and MBP.

I need to temporarily relocate soon, for about 14 months and I'm leaving my desktop behind. Whatever I buy, needs to be suitable for use as my desktop, probably hooked up to a spare flat screen, as well as for being somewhat portable. I've never owned a notebook computer, and I'm not entirely sure of what is or isn't very portable in regards to size and such..

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

As for colour accuracy…

You may have seen one thread in the MB/MBP that contained users of new MBPs citing problems with their screen – with a new revision (no matter what the manufacturer) they are going to be teething problems, so I wouldn’t let this put you off, but it is something to be aware of.

I can’t really comment too much about which screen would be better because:

a) I haven’t used the new machines.
    b) I haven’t used the MBs for colour critical processes – but then again, I’m not an art editor, so that’s hardly surprising!

When it comes to colour ultra-critical work, to be honest using a laptop screen probably isn’t going to be your first choice. If it’s any consolation, even when you use the best equipment there’s no guarantee that the printers won’t cock it up!

I honestly believe you would be fine with either screen. Worth pointing out that more than one publication aimed at creative pros (e.g. Macuser in the UK) have concluded that the MBs are surprisingly worth consideration for pro work.

Either machine would be a decent desktop replacement – particularly, if you do use that external flatscreen. But I think the MBP would probably be best for you - and don’t forget the edu discount!

If you can, you would be best off going to a shop and playing around with the machines – and see what you think!

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

put simply...unless you're going for the cheapest macbook, get the base macbook pro...the price difference is too close to ignore now for what you get

10. Igantius macrumors 65816

That depends on what you need the machine for. As I've said, Rinz would be most likely be better served with a MBP, but there's nothing he's listed that screams 'get a MBP, for God's sake!'

I'm going to ignore edu discounts as I'm in a hurry but Rinz will be entitled to as I've previously pointed...

The entry level MBP is 'only' $700 more expensive than the mid-range MB - roughly an extra 50%, which some might say is a marked difference. In the UK, the difference is £470 - over $900.

Personally, I would think hard spending that extra kind of money.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Wrong, the backlighting does not affect the colour spectrum of the current MBPs.

12. Rinz thread starter macrumors newbie

For me, I think the difference in price will be around £300 give or take. But I'd need to check that.
    I can afford the difference, otherwise I wouldn't even be considering a MBP. I just don't feel like I can make a truely well informed decision at the moment. And I like to make good decisions.

For the sake of being sure it will meet my needs, both now and in the future - I'm currently leaning towards the MBP. But to be honest, this isn't really based on anything solid.

13. shipdestroyer macrumors 6502

If you're considering attaching a monitor, get the MBP. The MiniDVI adapter is a pain, and my Macbook tends to be choppy when moving windows around even a 20" LCD.

14. Igantius macrumors 65816

Are you able to access the Internet from the place you're studying at the moment? If so, visit http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk/ - if you can get through then you're entitled to the Higher Education discount, which is bigger than the usual education discount. The baseline MBP is £1,100 this way.

You're probably aware of this, but when it comes to money, it doesn't hurt to make sure...

15. Rinz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not on campus right now, nope. So at the moment I'm not aware of the exact figures. But I have checked the prices that way in the past, for the MB's. Unless I'm mistaken I believe the HE discount is something like 15% ? I couln't see any percentages written, and my sums didn't add up to exactly 15% but I think it was something similar.

16. Igantius macrumors 65816

You can also call 0800 039 1010.

Roughly, the HE discount is what the non-VAT price is in the regular store, whereas the usual edu discount is about 9% - so the former’s well worth doing. Plus, you also get a limited 3-year warranty that you can upgrade to full Applecare incredibly cheaply.