MB Vs. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macss, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Macss macrumors newbie

Yeah,yeah, another one of "these" threads :rolleyes:
    I have been a PC guy for about... hmm... forever, and I have finally decided to become a mac guy, :eek:
    But I can't decide between the MB or the MBP
    I am 15, I don't have a job, and I only have enough for a middle of the road MB, but my dad will loan me the money I need, to get a mac... SO.. Which Should I Get???

-MacBook, 2gb Ram(will upgrade from 1gb), 2.16ghz, OS X Leopard (ima be waiten)
    -Refurb MacBook Pro, 15", 2gb Ram, 2.2ghz, OS X Leopard

I just CAN'T DECIDE!!
    The ONLY reason I would get the macbook pro, is to play counter strike, but I am not sure if the $300 dif ($200 from the $1,300 macbook to the $1,500 pro (refurbished price) + the extra $100 for apple care (pro apple care = $300, reg mb applecare = $200)))
    If I get the reg macbook, I will be using it for halo (I hear it runs pretty great on reg macbook) music, chatting, internet, iLife (will use this LOTS) and I will also be using garage band, and I will be making allot of movies and DVDs

ANYWAY, portability isn't too much of a problem for me, the only places I will be bringing it is, around the house, maybe outside, and on vacation(meh, not often)

I LOVE the macbook because of it's AWESOME look, small size, and uhh... that's about it,
    The pro seems to have allot of problems, but I like it because it's big (good and bad thing) and because the possibility's for it are endless(kinda)
    Also, this computer will be replacing my desktop, but for that I would suggest to myself the MacBook because it doesn't seem to have as many problems as the pro lol:p

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If you're on a tight budget, don't get apple care...use the money to get a better system / accessories. If gaming is important to you I definitely recommend the mbp. If Portability is important, the macbook. but if its mostly for your house, portability isn't that important. It's a great time to buy now though, edu discount + free iPod + free printer = good deal!

3. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Good idea for him, but he is only 15, he is in high school, so he can't get edu discount

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Remember you can purchase apple care later on, so you can use your money now to get a better computer and get apple care when you have the money. For your usage, a mb would be perfect except for games. You have to decide how important gaming is to you, and what resolution etc you're willing to live with. If gaming's important to you, then i would suggest a mbp and get apple care later on if you can.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

you can ask one of your older friends (if you have any) to help you get the edu discount...that's what I would do anyway lol. You can save 100$ w/ the discount I believe on the macbook. Use the saved money to get a good case for it, and pocket the rest. You can even ebay the free iPod.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

If you're basing that statement on what you've read on forums, I would seriously recommend visting some tech sites with editorial control. Although forums can be great for info, it's very easy to gain a wrong impression - e.g. in the recent unsafe magsafe threads, you would be forgiven for thinking (as more than one poster did) that it was a current problem, not something affecting a power connection phased out over 6 months by Apple.

And yes, there are rather a lot of these threads - more than a few were started by people who had pretty much the same requirements as you.

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

MBP might have a lot better resale value. Just something to think about if you're not going to keep yours +5 years...

8. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

As someone who has got more than their fair share out of Applecare, I think doing without it is risky, but, as Teflon says, you can get it any time within the first year.

9. chex macrumors regular

the pro is only 150grams heavier than the macbook - if I had the choice I would definitely go pro.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Personally, I'm a fan of the mbp. Since you're going to go refurb, I'd say the mbp is pretty good for you. Buy your Applecare after 10 or 11 months so you can save up enough. Also, since you're going to wait until Leopard is out, you should buy after the mbps are updated one more time. It'll only be two or four weeks more. That way you can get a better or cheaper mbp and Leopard will have some of the kinks worked out.