MB vs. MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marcizzle333, Mar 17, 2008.

1. marcizzle333 macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a apple laptop but before i do this i had a question for you guys. Should i buy the Black MacBook with 4 GB of RAM ($1899) or the MacBook Pro for $1999?. Is the MacBook Pro really worth more?? are the graphics that much better?? Is there any other huge difference other than graphics, color, and screen size??

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

FOR THE SAKE OF A HUNDRED DOLLARS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE MACBOOK PRO FOR VIDEO EDITING, GRAPHICS DESIGNING, GAMING....

just think, that hundred dollars gets you the larger screen as well... some people find it hard do look at the small macbook screen... plus you get the illuminated keypad which works wonders for me on planes...

i suggest you go PRO....

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. mojitochica macrumors member

Regardless of what you decide, buy your RAM from a third party and install it yourself. Crucial, OWC, and even NewEgg are good places.

Also consider purchasing from a third party reseller such as Amazon to save on taxes, unless you're living in the state where the third party reseller resides, and to be eligible for rebates.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The difference is $100.

For that you get:
    - A bigger display (15.4 vs. 13.3).
    - Matte screen option.
    - Better keyboard. Also keyboard is backlit.
    - Better graphics.
    - More ports. For example, Express Card slot and FW800.
    - Better speakers.
    - Touch trackpad -- like the MBA.

IMHO, this it is a no brainer to get a MBP in this case.

6. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Aside from price and power, there's the aesthetics and feel of the machine. Can you get to an AppleStore and try them out? I found that I didn't like the MacBook at all. The screen was too small and the keyboard was terrible. In contrast, the MacBook Pro had a normal keyboard and much better screen. Others feel just the opposite: the smaller size of the MB is preferred and many people prefer the flat clicky keys of the MB (and now the new Apple keyboards).

What's your preference?

7. iHusky macrumors newbie

well first off, don't buy apple ram. that will save you some $$ on the macbook.

you probably don't need the pro, but if you've got some extra cash to put into your computer, it definitely won't be wasted on a MBP

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Mind you the OP is utilizing Apple RAM prices to configure. However, even at the larger margin of $300 the MBPro is well worth it.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not if he doesnt need it......

10. asmallchild macrumors regular

just aesthetically, it eliminates the worry of fingerprints/discoloration etc...

might be worth the $300 premium right there (aside from the improved hardware)

11. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

the hundred bucks might be well spent if you need a dedicated video card thats if you are into video editing go or M|BP

12. macgroovy macrumors member

Try them both out at a local retailer. But the fact that your hestitating about which to get would probably mean that part of you will regret not forking out the extra for a MBP when you see other people having fun with theirs at your local cafe.

The extra screen real-estate was probably the main reason I splurged on a MBP. I don't really think you would notice the graphics card difference unless you are into gaming.

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This really has nothing to do with video card performance. The cpu does the work, not the gpu. FCE on 2.4 gHz MB or MBP will be just about the same.

14. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I have an idea.

Get a MBP 15" 2.4 gHz at MacMall for about $1844*
    Free shipping* and no tax.
    *after mail-in rebate.

Then, go to newegg and spend $104 for 4GB of ram
    Free shipping, no tax.

You'll come out spending less than $2000 for a 4GB 15" 2.4 gHz MBP.

15. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Also, the aluminium enclosure is much better, not even considering aesthetics.

It wears much better than the plastic casing of the MacBooks. The inside of those are matte and can pick up grime very easily. After 3-4 years, my Powerbook looks nearly like new, and cleans up very well. After 6 months, many Macbooks I've seen are covered in brown/grey sweat stains. Obviously, the Blackbook is less prone, but the matte surface on out side also picks up oils very easily.

I would also suggest that a metal enclosure would dissipate heat better.

16. kunze50 macrumors regular

Consider Glossy for the Pro if you like the look of the MacBooks display.

17. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I would also suggest getting a refurb because they are very good machines with the same warranty and a couple hundred off the price.

ChrisN

18. Mo Tiggas macrumors member

He doesn't need the MB Pro though. THat's just too much machine. Think of the four hundred you can save and put that towards a new machine in three years.

19. Mac Buck macrumors newbie

I recently had to make the same decision. I opted to go with the smaller screen mostly for portability. I came from a 15" windows laptop and I hated lugging around the larger frame. They are both great machines. Either one will make you happy.

Good luck!

20. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I'd also like to add a small comment.
    NEVER tell one of your macs to use screen share on a mac that's screen sharing that screen.

EX-
    My Macbook Pro had the screen from my iMac on it. Then, I wanted to do a small experiment so I told my iMac to grab the MBP's screen.

I HAD to try it.
    It put both macs into an infinite loop.
    =P