MB- Which "old" one should I get

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by azdmelani, Oct 15, 2008.

1. azdmelani macrumors member

With the student discount I can get the "old" white plastic that they are still carrying in stock for $949.

Or I can buy the refurb online 2.4gh/2GB Ram/160HD for $1049.

I will do next day shipping since i want the computer before the 20th so I can get the printer rebate.

Also, if I buy online will the Apple store still do their lump transfer for me?

2. jshelton macrumors 6502a

If you get the refurb, you will be paying $100 for an extra GB ram, bigger hard drive, and minor processer upgrade (2.1 > 2.4). From what I have heard the refurbs are practically brand new. I think the new base white models now ship with a superdrive so you are getting that either way. Personally, I would go with the refurb. It's a Win, Win :D

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The old ones have terrible integrated graphics and yet cost a ton. The new ones still have integrated graphics and yet cost even more.

It's lose-lose situation.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

The OP wasn't even asking about the graphics, but believe it or not some people actually don't need the latest and greatest graphics wise. Besides, integrated or not, the new Nvidia graphics are far superior to the older Intel graphics anyway and are plenty enough for most people.

As for the OP's question, the $1,049 refurb is the most computer for the money, so if you can spare the extra $100, that would be the way to go IMO.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

What are you going to use it for?

6. azdmelani thread starter macrumors member

I was leaning towards the refurb model for the extra $100. I plan on having this macbook for a few years (yes, I am getting apple care).

I will be using for internet, photos, email, itunes, school work. Not really a big gamer.

7. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I'm sure that would work just fine for that sort of thing

8. azdmelani thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Now to answer my other question, I know Apple will move files from your PC to your new Mac for you if you buy it in the store. What if you buy it from the online apple store. Does that still apply?

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't think it applies, but I'm not 100% sure. Try asking an Apple rep in the online store by clicking the "Chat" icon in the upper right-hand corner.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I don't think the processor upgrade is a big deal but for $100 the RAM and hard drive are probably worth it.

12. beret9987 macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards the refurb. You could just get a blackbook. Those are still excellent computers :)

13. azdmelani thread starter macrumors member

thanks all for the feedback. Went to the store tonight and fell in love with the new macbook and purchased that instead. So far i am very happy with it!

14. tehprince macrumors newbie

Just picked up my MB 2.0 tonight and couldn't be happier. Very well built machine and I feel it will suite my needs just fine.

Also I'm loving the new trackpad, it takes a little bit of time to get used to, but once you do it's a real time saver.

15. azdmelani thread starter macrumors member

agreed 100%! The computer is so light and you can barely hear it unlike my dell!

Tomorrow's task will be trying to "direct connect" my computer to my pc and transfer my files over.